[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I wish he were president of the entire world!
Oops!  I wish he WAS president of the entire world!

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_mike_whi_050917_hurricane_hugo_at_th
.htm

Hurricane Hugo at the U.N.
by Mike Whitney

http://www.opednews.com

Hurricane Hugo at the U.N. by Mike Whitney

"Practically no one in the United States knows that we've donated
millions of dollars to the governorship of Louisiana, to the New
Orleans Red Cross. We're now giving care to more than 5,000 victims,
and now we're going to supply gasoline, freely in some cases, and
with discounts in other cases, to the poorest of communities,
starting with New Orleans and its surroundings... We've been helping.
And we've been even rescuing people." Venezuelan President Hugo
Chavez; "Nightline" with Ted Koppel, 9-16-05

Hugo Chavez's performance at the UN was greeted with the bucket-loads
of bile that one expects from America's rightward-titling media.
Washington Post hatchet-man Colum Lynch provided a typical summary of
the speech by dismissing it as "a rant" from the Venezuelan "bad-
boy". But, Lynch isn't alone in his hostility; the outpouring of
venom came from all corners; appearing in many newspapers across the
nation, invoking the hackneyed expressions of contempt for any
foreign leader who rebuffs Washington or who follows redistributive
economic policies.

In fact, the speech was a brilliant and impassioned analysis of the
current state of the world and of the United Nations. Chavez noted
that the original intention of the gathering had been "completely
distorted" by the so-called reform process introduced by John Bolton.
The reforms are entirely designed to transform the UN into a cats-paw
for American power creating greater flexibility for Washington's
preemptive wars and for dismantling the foundations of international
law. They signal the demise of the UN as a legitimate forum for world
development and an invitation for Bush and co. to act with even
greater impunity.

The Bush administration's maneuvering has successfully sabotaged the
efforts made by the international community for real improvement. The
goals of the Millennium Summit, to reduce hunger, poverty and
ignorance, will not be achieved and the mission of the UN has been
effectively torpedoed by Bolton's machinations. Chavez speech draws
this same obvious conclusion:

"Friends of the world, The United Nations has exhausted its model,
and it is not all about reform. The XXI century claims deep changes
that will only be possible if a new organization is founded. This UN
does not work. We have to say it. It is the truth."

Chavez's remarks are not intended to disgrace the UN, but to offer a
different vision for the future. He recognizes the pressing
requirements of the new century and realizes that many of these
problems "do not have a national solution: radioactive clouds, world
oil prices, diseases, warming of the planet or the hole in the ozone
layer. These are not domestic problems."

Chavez proposes his own set of reforms for the UN, including
expansion of the Security Council, greater transparency, increasing
the powers of the Secretary General, and "suppressing" the power of
one nation to veto resolutions made by the council. But, he does not
believe that reforms are enough by themselves and insists that the UN
be transformed completely, beginning with a change of venue from New
York to an "international city with its own sovereignty". Chavez's
logic is inescapable; if the United States continues to flaunt UN
resolutions and violate international law, as it has with the Iraq
war, it should not be host to the world body. Chavez's suggestion was
not made to humiliate the United States, but to demonstrate the
urgency of the calamity the world faces if action is not taken
swiftly on matters of mutual concern. Chavez takes a keen interest in
these issues even though Washington chooses to ignore them.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are facing an unprecedented energy crisis
in which an unstoppable increase of energy is perilously reaching
record highs, as well as the incapacity of increased oil supply and
the perspective of a decline in the proven reserves of fuel
worldwide. Oil is starting to become exhausted.

For the year 2020 the daily demand for oil will be 120 million
barrels. Such demand, even without counting future increments- would
consume in 20 years what humanity has used up to now. This means that
more carbon dioxide will inevitably be increased, thus warming our
planet even more."

Chavez cogently draws a straight line between global warming to the
devastation of Hurricane Katrina; the first major city lost
from rising ocean temperatures. He deftly connects the tragedy to the
neoliberal economic model which continues to thrust the world in a
catastrophic direction.

"It is unpractical and unethical to sacrifice the human race by
appealing in an insane manner the validity of a socioeconomic model
that has a galloping destructive capacity. It would be suicidal to
spread it and impose it as an infallible remedy for the evils which
are caused precisely by them."

Chavez also defended his record as a reformer and a man willing to
take risks for the sake of his own people. In one particularly
stinging remark, he noted the progress that had been made in
Venezuela since 9-11, while the Bush administration was busy using
the pretext of terrorism to violate international law and initiate
hostilities against Iraq.

"One million four hundred and six thousand Venezuelans learned to
read and write. We are 25 million total. And the country will, in a
few days, be declared an illiteracy-free territory. And three million
Venezuelans, who had always been excluded because of poverty, are now
part of primary, secondary and higher studies.

Seventeen million Venezuelans, almost 70% of the population, are
receiving, and for the first time, universal healthcare, including
the medicine, and in a few years, all Venezuelans will have free
access to an excellent healthcare service. More that a million seven
hundred tons of food are channeled to over 12 million people at
subsidized prices, almost half the population. One million gets them
completely free, as they are in a transition period. More than 700
thousand new jobs have been created, thus reducing unemployment by 9
points. All of this amid internal and external aggressions, including
a coup d'etat and an oil industry shutdown organized by Washington."

Unlike Bush, Chavez's record is backed up by a solid performance in
nearly every area of social development. Its no wonder the elitist
American media, driven by their class-based ideology, has tried so
desperately to discredit him.

Chavez oratory to the General Assembly will undoubtedly elevate him
in the eyes of many as a serious futurist who offers genuine
solutions for a war-ravaged planet. His personal fortitude and
optimism are matched by his selfless conduct as President; working
persistently on behalf of his people and strengthening global
relations. His iconic image around the world is well deserved.

"We will fight for Venezuela, for Latin American integration and the
world. We reaffirm our infinite faith in humankind. We are thirsty
for peace and justice in order to survive as species... Now is the
time to not allow our hands to be idle or our souls to rest until we
save humanity."

His speech was received with thunderous applause.

(Note: "Operation Balboa; the plan to invade Venezuela; President
Chavez announced on "Nightline" Friday edition 9-16-05 that, "I have
evidence that there are plans to invade Venezuela. Furthermore, we
have documentation: how many bombers will over-fly Venezuela on the
day of the invasion, how many trans-Atlantic carriers, how many
aircraft carriers need to be sent to (inaudible) even during
(inaudible)." The US is carrying out maneuvers at Curacao Island, and
Chavez claims to have documentation to back up his allegations. "The
plan is called Balboa and Venezuela is indicated as its objective.")

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM