BOSTON - Gregg Miller mortgaged his home and maxed out his credit
cards to mass produce his invention — prosthetic testicles for
neutered dogs.

What started 10 years ago with an experiment on an unwitting
Rottweiler named Max has turned into a thriving mail-order business.
And on Thursday night Miller's efforts earned him a dubious yet
strangely coveted honor: the Ig Nobel Prize for medicine.

"Considering my parents thought I was an idiot when I was a kid, this
is a great honor," he said. "I wish they were alive to see it."

The Ig Nobels, given at Harvard University by Annals of Improbable
Research magazine, celebrate the humorous, creative and odd side of
science.

Miller has sold more than 150,000 of his Neuticles, more than
doubling his $500,000 investment. The silicone implants come in
different sizes, shapes, weights and degrees of firmness. The
product's Web site says Neuticles allow a pet "to retain his natural
look" and "self esteem."

Although the Ig Nobels are not exactly prestigious, many recipients
are, like Miller, happy to win.

"Most scientists — no matter what they're doing, good or bad — never
get any attention at all," said Marc Abrahams, editor of the Annals
of Improbable Research.

Some, like Benjamin Smith of the University of Adelaide in Australia,
who won the biology prize, actually nominated their own work. "I've
been a fan of the Ig Nobels for a while," he said.

Smith's team studied and catalogued different scents emitted by more
than 100 species of frogs under stress. Some smelled like cashews,
while others smelled like licorice, mint or rotting fish.

He recalled getting strange looks when he'd show up at zoos asking to
smell the frogs. "I've been turned away at the gate," he said.

This year's other Ig Nobel winners include:

Physics: Since 1927, researchers at the University of Queensland in
Australia have been tracking a glob of congealed black tar as it
drips through a funnel — at a rate of one drop every nine years.
Peace: Two researchers at Newcastle University in England monitored
the brain activity of locusts as they watched clips from the
movie "Star Wars."
Chemistry: An experiment at the University of Minnesota was designed
to prove whether people can swim faster or slower in syrup than in
water.
The Ig Nobel for literature went to the Nigerians who introduced
millions of e-mail users to a "cast of rich characters ... each of
whom requires just a small amount of expense money so as to obtain
access to the great wealth to which they are entitled."

The awards are intended as a spoof of the Nobel science prizes, also
announced this week. This year, they have another link: Roy Glauber,
a Harvard professor who has long taken part in the Ig Nobel
festivities, was among those awarded the physics Nobel this year.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/FXrMlA/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/LRMolB/TM