From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Astromancer
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 19:20
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Re: What does Sci-Fi have against Black
people?

On one point, I have to say militarily was incorrect...Sisko was a
commander, but of an outpost, not a ship, which I am assuming the
captain's rank was reserved for ship's commanders...But I do see your
point...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:Your point is dead-on, which is what I
meant. Star Trek was the beacon, starting slowly (a Black woman, no
Black men in major roles), then grew with Geordi (whose disability
definitely raised eyebrows among Blacks) and Worf, and reaching fruition
in Sisko. The series matured in its treatment of people of color (though
why Sisko was the only lead character in all the shows that started out
as a commander instead of a captain was puzzling).  That's what I meant
about "Enterprise" going backwards. They literally regressed over three
decades and relegated the Black and Asian characters to the same levels
of background noise that unfortunately mostly defined Uhura and Sulu.
And speaking of Sulu, MAJOR crime to my mind that George Takei, who has
great screen presence, was never able to shine in Trek as he deserved.
I'd have loved to have seen a movie based on his Excelsior.

And you are so correct in saying that you hate the treatment of people
of color on Galactica more now that you like it. I'm the same way. I
hated the show when it started, wrote a scathing review in our group,
then grew to love it. But then I look up and see the Asian girl being
the love interest for two different white dudes, and ditto for the Black
girl (Moore hints to a developing love triangle between the Sister,
Billy, and Apollo). I see no Brothers playing anything but guards and
"muscle", as you say. And i just have to wonder, is it intentional or
just more of the same white ignorance? Moore is a white man, and maybe
bringing women of color on to be love interests for white men is
"diversity" to him. Maybe he hasn't noticed that on several occassions
he's used BBM (Big Black Men) as prisoners, and that they're even
stereotypically dark-skinned and bald.  Maybe he just doesn't get it,
but I know it bothers me a great deal. Like I said, when the entire
Pegasus command structure
turns out white, and two bald brothers show up as the Admiral's personal
guard, I was stunned.

I'm hoping season three will somehow address this problem.

"tetsuwanatom1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:

Well, you know, we hold up Trek as the beacon, but it was really just
the first. I don't think they really got it until TNG was deep into
its run. Uhura was a hot swingin babe in a miniskirt. TOS did have
black cast members playing doctors (!) and scientists (!!!) though.
But really, a black dude with "space shades?" Burton really worked
that character into something. And what abt other minorities in TNG?
Had the Japanese nurse . . ..  Worf, he's Klingon, just the actor is
black. Casting Dorn as Worf though did lead to primarily casting
black (men) as Klingons most often. Same could be said for Tuvok,
though Vulcans are a little more human looking so his color is more
in your face.
Funny that the lack of black males on BSG bothers me more now than it
did at first. That's because I HATED the show at first. Now it's at
least tolerable. I like Olmos, Sackhoff has grown on me, and I'm a
bit curious to see where their going, even if on occasion they do
telegraph their punches. To that end, I'm also kinda hanging around
to see if Moore will EVER come right out and say that there is racism
in the colonies, as his constant presentation of black males as
jailbirds and muscle seems to suggest. Or perhaps one day he'll admit
he just has no idea what to do with issues of race or ethnic actors
(who are not asian women).
--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Johnson"