--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Wright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> A notable exception was Eddie Gordo from Tekken 3.
<SNIP!>
> See the excellent article on Eddie Gordo from Planet Capoeira.
>
> http://www.capoeira.com/planetcapoeira/articles/gordo.htm

I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I play Capoeira now mostly
because I was a rabid fan of Tekken 3 and I thought (and still
think) Eddy Gordo was the coolest thing since sliced bread.  IRL I
can *almost* get his Armada-Macaco-Mortal combo and I'm still
working on the Armada Dupla - in English, that's Gordo's Standing
Spinning Kick, Crouching Back Hand Spring to a Backfip (haven't
gotten the backflip down yet) and I'm still working on the flying
spinning double leg kick - I can get about 2 feet off the ground
right now - course in Capoeira, most people do that kick with the
legs going up and over, rather than across.

Anyway, along with more Sci Fi featuring Blacks, I'd love to
see/help produce a feature film that uses Capoeira as the main
fighting art.  Only the Strong was decent for its time, but I'd like
to see a movie starring someone who actually plays Capoeira and
something that's shot in such a way you can see the movements -
unlike that travesty Catwoman.  What pisses me off about Catwoman is
the few Capoeira movements she used (Meia Lua to three Meia Lua de
Compasso in the scene where the busts up the diamond robbery) were
hidden by blurry, murky MTV-esque moving camera shots (that same
issue I had with most of the fights in Batman Begins, ESPECIALLY the
fight at the end of the movie in the train where you have two
masters fighting each other - at that point in the movie, it was
UNFORGIVABLE to have murky camera shots and fast editing).  I was
really hoping I'd be able to point to Catwoman and say "This is
Capoeira, or at least some of the movements in Capoeira" *sigh*

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM