[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Wow!   Hurricane Katrina aftermath and Bennett's comments and this!  When will
"they" ever learn!!??
Being a vegetarian I have already been boycotting Tyson Foods forever.
Outraged Amy
  Subject: [scifinoir2] TYSON FOODS BOYCOTT

  TYSON FOODS SUED FOR RACE BIAS AND RETALIATION AGAINST BLACKS; ‘WHITES ONLY'
  RESTROOM AT ISSUE

  Rare EEOC Case for Segregated Job Facilities In Deep  South
  BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – After complaining to Tyson Foods, Inc. about the posting
  of a "Whites Only" sign on one of Tyson's restrooms at its Ashland, Alabama,
  facility, two black employees were subjected to adverse personnel actions by
  Tyson management, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
  alleges in a discrimination lawsuit announced today.
  The EEOC's suit, EEOC v. Tyson Foods, Inc., CV-05-BE-1704-E (U.S.  District
  Court for the Northern District of Alabama), alleges that Tyson's  violated
  Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by discriminating against  Henry
Adams,
  Leon Walker, and other black employees, by establishing and  maintaining a
  locked bathroom facility, which on occasion had signs posted on it  stating
"Out
  of Order" and "Whites Only". Keys to the facility were distributed  to white
  employees only. After Mr. Adams and Mr. Walker complained of the  segregated
  facility, management subjected them to adverse employment actions,  including
  suspensions and disciplinary write-ups.
  "This year the Commission is celebrating its fortieth anniversary," said
  Bernice Williams-Kimbrough, District Director of the EEOC's Birmingham
District
  Office. "While this country has made great strides in addressing issues of
  racism, unfortunately there are still people who have not yet gotten the
message
  that segregation in the workplace will not be tolerated. The EEOC exists to
  make  certain that the promise of equal opportunity in employment extends not
  only to  access to jobs but to equal treatment on those jobs."
  The EEOC filed suit only after attempting to reach a voluntary pre-litigation
  settlement through its conciliation process. The suit seeks injunctive
  relief,  and compensatory and punitive damages on behalf of Henry Adams, Leon
  Walker, and  the class of black employees.
  "A company's commitment to equal opportunity is measured by more than the
  existence of written policies and diversity training," said Charles E.
Guerrier,
  Regional Attorney for the EEOC's Birmingham District Office. "True
  commitment is  measured by the environment in which employees work and their
  understanding of  what equal opportunity means on a day-to-day, one-on-one
basis. When
  an employee  feels free to lock a bathroom facility and to post a ‘Whites
Only'
  sign on it,  even for one day, that employer has not been effective in
  delivering the message  of equal opportunity to its employees."
  According to its web site _www.tysonfoodsinc.com_
  (http://www.eeoc.gov/press/www.tysonfoodsinc.com) :  "Tyson Foods, Inc.,
founded in 1935 with
  headquarters in Springdale, Arkansas,  is the world's largest processor and
marketer of
  chicken, beef and pork and the  second-largest food company in the Fortune
500.
  The company produces a wide  variety of protein-based and prepared food
  products, which are marketed under  the Powered by Tyson (TM) strategy. Tyson
is
  the recognized market leader in the  retail and food service markets it
serves,
  providing products and service to  customers throughout the United States and
  more than 80 countries. Tyson has  approximately 114,000 Team Members
employed
  at more than 300 facilities and  offices in the United States and around the
  world."
  The EEOC enforces Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits
  employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, and national
  origin; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, which prohibits
  discrimination  against individuals 40 years of age or older; sections of the
Civil Rights
  Act  of 1991; the Equal Pay Act; Title I of the Americans with Disabilities
  Act,  which prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in the
  private  sector and state and local governments; and the Rehabilitation Act's

  prohibitions against disability discrimination in the federal government.
  Further information about the Commission is available on its web site at
  _www.eeoc.gov_ (http://www.eeoc.gov/) .
  _http://www.eeoc.gov/press/8-11-05.html_
  (http://www.eeoc.gov/press/8-11-05.html)
  _http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/tysonfoods831_
  (http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/tysonfoods831)

  Black  Employees Sue Tyson Foods for Maintaining ?Whites Only?  Restroom
  Date: Tuesday, August 30,  2005
  By: _Michael H. Cottman_
  (http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/authors/10015)
  Twelve  black employees of Tyson Foods, Inc. are suing the world?s largest
  meat  producer, alleging the company allowed a segregated break room and
  bathroom  which included a "Whites Only" sign posted on the wall in the
Ashland,
  Alabama  plant.

  According to the complaint, in July 2003, a newly-renovated  bathroom at the
  plant remained locked except to a white supervisor and certain  white
  employees. It alleges that a Tyson supervisor initially placed an "out of
order" sign
  on the door although the bathroom was working well. Only white  employees had
  keys to the bathroom.
  "When I  was young, my mother used to tell me stories about segregated
  bathrooms," Henry  Adams, a plaintiff in the case, said in a statement. "I
never
  thought that her  reality of 71 years ago would become my reality today."
  The  complaint also alleges that a picture of two monkeys with the names of
  two  African-American employees written by the photos was placed on the
locker
  of a  black employee, and that a white employee led a plaintiff to a room and
  showed  the plaintiff a noose.
  The  regional office of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is
  also  suing Tyson for violating Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964,
  which  prohibits workplace discrimination.
  Tyson  spokesman Gary Mickelson told reporters the allegations are "without
  merit" and  that Tyson Foods has a "zero tolerance" policy with respect to
  racism.
  But the  lawsuit also says that when two black employees complained of the
  segregated  facility, management subjected them to suspensions and
disciplinary
  reports.
  "A  company's commitment to equal opportunity is measured by more than the
  existence  of written policies and diversity training," Charles E. Guerrier,
  regional  attorney for the EEOC's Birmingham District Office, said in a
  statement.
  "True  commitment is measured by the environment in which employees work and
  their  understanding of what equal opportunity means on a day-to-day,
  one-on-one  basis," Guerrier said. "When an employee feels free to lock a
bathroom
  facility  and to post a ?Whites Only' sign on it, even for one day, that
employer
  has not  been effective in delivering the message of equal opportunity to its
  employees."
  Kymberly  Smith, a federal prosecutor from California, told
  BlackAmericaWeb.com that, for  black Americans, "racial fairness must be
mandated."
  "I don't  want to even think about all of the smaller incidents, the nuances
  that came  before the 'Whites only' sign in this case, which is what
  ultimately led these  injured parties to finally have the tool needed to file
suit,"
  Smith said.
  "No one  should have to deal with such unacceptable behavior. It's not
  productive. It's  not healthy. We are better than this."
  Smith  said she's not surprised that such overt racism exists in 2005 and
  suggested  that some blacks have become too complacent over the years.
  "I think,  as a people, the black community was so relieved to get Jim Crow's
  foot off of  our necks," she said, "we just stopped at the sigh of relief.
  It?s like we have  been exhaling for over 20 years."
  The  lawsuit against Tyson Foods said that despite complaints to the
  supervisor and  the plant manager by black employees, the exclusive use of
the
  bathroom by  whites continued. "Thereafter, in August 2003, employees or
agents of
  Defendant  placed a sign on the bathroom door that read ?Whites Only,?" the
  complaint  states. The sign and a padlock remained on the door through the
month
  of August  2003.
  "The  plant manager pounded the table and angrily stated that the workers
  were  ?nasty?, ?dirty?, and behaved like children and stated that the
bathroom
  had  been locked for those reasons," the complaint states. "The plant manager

  continued that if the bathroom was not kept clean, it would be torn down and
  the  workers would have to soil themselves."
  The black  employees also alleged that white supervisors at the plant used
  threatening  language, including the n-word, and slurs about blacks and
  watermelons, and one  plaintiff alleges he has been harassed and humiliated
by being
  repeatedly called  "boy."
  "This  year, the Commission is celebrating its 40th anniversary," Bernice
  Williams-Kimbrough, district director of the EEOC's Birmingham District
Office,
  said in a statement. "While this country has made great strides in addressing
  issues of racism, unfortunately there are still people who have not yet
  gotten  the message that segregation in the workplace will not be tolerated.
  "The EEOC  exists," she said, "to make certain that the promise of equal
  opportunity in  employment extends not only to access to jobs, but to equal
  treatment on those  jobs."
  The 12  black employees and the EEOC are asking the court to stop Tyson from
  continuing  the illegal practices and to order the corporation to "establish
  policies and  procedures to remedy the racial harassment and retaliation."
The
  plaintiffs are  also seeking unspecified damages.
  According  to its website, Tyson Foods, Inc., founded in 1935 with
  headquarters in  Springdale, Arkansas, is the world's  largest processor and
marketer of
  chicken, beef and pork and the second-largest  food company in the Fortune
  500. The company provides products and services to  customers throughout the
  United  States and more  than 80 countries. Tyson has approximately 114,000
  employees at more than 300  facilities in the United  States,  including 12
plants
  in Alabama.
  Smith  told BlackAmericaWeb.com that she recently read of a speech by Bernice
  King, the  daughter of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who warned of an impending
  social and  cultural "tsunami" and maintained that black people should be
  prepared to take  action.
  She said  King?s message echos her belief that black Americans should always
  exercise  their legal rights when experiencing discrimination in the
  workplace.

  "These folks need support," Smith said of the blacks at Tyson  Foods. "This
  story needs to be told. A process must be in place to show these  folks
  support. They shouldn't have to walk this alone. This affects

  AOL has  been bouncing many of its clients. If bounced, please use my
  alternate email:  carole.mcdonnell (at) gmail (dot)com
  Carole McDonnell
  "Then said I, 'Here  am I; send  me.'"
  www.geocities.com/scifiwritir/OreoBlues.html

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM