Hmm...reminds me of a line from Donald Fagen's song I.G.Y.: "Just machines
that make big decisions; programmed by fellows with compassion and vision..."

Martin Pratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:   There's a wonderful idea. Let's grant
the machines the ability to get online of their own accord. Reminds me of a
story by Arthur C Clarke, in which a bunch of bright lads decide to link all
the computers of the world together in order to determine if God exists. Once
all the links are made, the question is asked.

  The reply? "He does NOW."

Brent Wodehouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/17/051117122039.bk8qci9l.html

Machines and objects to overtake humans on the Internet: ITU

Nov 17

Machines will take over from humans as the biggest users of the Internet
in a brave new world of electronic sensors, smart homes, and tags that
track users' movements and habits, the UN's telecommunications agency
predicted.

In a report entitled "Internet of Things", the International
Telecommunication Union (ITU) outlined the expected next stage in the
technological revolution where humans, electronic devices, inanimate
objects and databases are linked by a radically transformed Internet.

"It would seem that science fiction is slowly turning into science fact
in an 'Internet of Things' based on ubiquitous network connectivity," the
report said Thursday, saying objects would take on human characteristics
thanks to technological innovation.

"Today, in the 2000s, we are heading into a new era of ubiquity, where the
'users' of the Internet will be counted in billions and where humans may
become the minority as generators and receivers of traffic," it added.

Currently there are about 875 million Internet users worldwide, a number
that may simply double if humans remain the primary users of the future.

But experts are counting on tens of billions of human and inanimate
"users" in future decades.

They would be tied into an all pervasive network where there would be no
need to power up a computer to connect - "anytime, anywhere, by anyone and
anything", the report said.

Remote computer-controlled household appliances are already appearing, as
well as prototype cars with collision-avoidance sensors.

Mobile phones can be used as electronic train tickets while meat exports
from Namibia or goods for US retail chain Wal-Mart are tagged with sensors
to allow them to be tracked.

The ITU's vision goes further, highlighting refrigerators that
independently communicate with grocery stores, washing machines that
communicate with clothing, implanted tags with medical equipment and
vehicles with stationary or moving objects.

Industrial products would also become increasingly "smart", gaining
autonomy and the intelligence thanks to miniaturised but more powerful
computing capacity.

"Even particles and 'dust' might be tagged and networked", the ITU said.

"In this way the virtual world would map the real world, given that
everything in our physical environment would have its own identity (a
passport of sorts) in virtual cyberpsace," the report forecast.

The trend is being fuelled by a small number of technological
developments, including miniature radio frequency RFID electronic tags
that allow immediate identification and tracking, and new sensor
technology, as well as smart devices and nanotechnology.

While the report laid out economic opportunities, a huge expansion of the
IT industry and innovation in a wide range of fields from health to
entertainment, it also warned of a number of challenges, including privacy
issues.

Some of the applications envisaged for emerging RFID tags are to replace
human ID documents, track consumer habits, or banknotes.

The ITU said tighter linkages would be needed between those that create
the technology and those that use it to cope with its forecast new world.

"In a world increasingly mediated by technology, we must ensure that the
human core of our activities remains untouched," the report concluded.

        Science fiction and fantasy   Music genres   Genre magazine

"Excuse me while I whip this out."
                    Cleavon Little , "Blazing Saddles"

        Science fiction and fantasy   Music genres   Genre magazine

http://us.click.yahoo.com/u8TY5A/tzNLAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM