NONFICTION    _Hung: A Meditation on the Measure of Black Men  in
America_
(http://sublit.com/ad/func/ct.php?mail_list_id=22&job_id=582935&subscriber_id=790090&listing_id=LISTING_ID&url=www.powells.com/biblio/61-0385510020
-0)
by Scott  Poulson-Bryant

_http://sublit.com/ad/func/ct.php?mail_list_id=22&job_id=582935&subscriber_id=
790090&listing_id=LISTING_ID&url=www.powells.com%2Fbiblio%2F61-0385510020-0_
(http://sublit.com/ad/func/ct.php?mail_list_id=22&job_id=582935&subscriber_id=7
90090&listing_id=LISTING_ID&url=www.powells.com/biblio/61-0385510020-0)

Synopsis
A cultural critic asks just how well  black men measure up.

Review
In Hung,  Vibe founder and Spin columnist _Scott Poulson-Bryant_
(http://sublit.com/ad/func/ct.php?mail_list_id=22&job_id=582935&subscriber_id=790090&listin
g_id=LISTING_ID&url=www.ruhung.com)  confronts the roles black men play in
today's pop culture by taking on the myth of penis size. The author traces his
obsession back to the time he slept with his first white girl, in college.
When  she told him she thought he'd be bigger because he was black, he
responded, "So  did I." That's a tight spot for Poulson-Bryant to be in —
intellectually he  understands the social and cultural implications of the
black penis. He
hears _echoes of lynching_
(http://sublit.com/ad/func/ct.php?mail_list_id=22&job_id=582935&subscriber_id=790090&listing_id=LISTING_ID&url=www.albany.edu/ws/j
ournal/2004/cooley.html)  in the idea of "being hung." Those who  would
locate that painful legacy in the unpleasant past need only remember the  1997
NYPD
sodomy attack on _Abner Louima_
(http://sublit.com/ad/func/ct.php?mail_list_id=22&job_id=582935&subscriber_id=790090&listing_id=LISTING_ID&url=www.thesmokin
ggun.com/torture/torture.html)  to realize that the past is never dead. This
double-edged sword eats away at Poulson-Bryant: "I don't want anything to do
with that ugly American history, the stereotypes that have been created to
control me — do I? Hell yeah, my inner ear tells me, I do."

The book  opens with a letter to the late _Emmett Till_
(http://sublit.com/ad/func/ct.php?mail_list_id=22&job_id=582935&subscriber_id=790090&listing_id=LIST
ING_ID&url=www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/till/)  — a horrifying and well-documented
case of a of a  black man's being punished for his penis. With anecdotes and
interviews both  appalling and hilarious, Poulson-Bryant proceeds to rip apart
façade of modern  equality. He introduces us to folks like Ty, or, rather, the
"_Eracist_
(http://sublit.com/ad/func/ct.php?mail_list_id=22&job_id=582935&subscriber_id=790090&listing_id=LISTING_ID&url=movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movi
e.html?v_id=315353) ." Like white basketball fans who mimic moves on their
own courts, Ty wants to be black enough to reap the so-called rewards but
quietly rejects being black. The stakes of black male virility are  similar:
the
black man must be black in all his pseudo-glory without achieving  the real
glory of self-ownership. As Poulson-Bryant puts it, "The black athlete  will
submit to ascribed rules that are set up: you be black and do what black  guys
do
(be virile, be strong, be worshipped), while I'll be white and do what  white
guys do (be worshipful, be deferential, yet always be more powerful)." The
question is no longer who's watched and who's watching but, rather, who's
performing and who's actually owning.
- Linda Chavers

AOL has  been bouncing many of its clients. If bounced, please use my
alternate email:  carole.mcdonnell (at) gmail (dot)com
Carole McDonnell
"Then said I, 'Here  am I; send me.'"_
www.geocities.com/scifiwritir/OreoBlues.html_
(http://www.geocities.com/scifiwritir/OreoBlues.html) _
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/LRMolB/TM