From: Martin Pratt
Date: 12/03/05 19:02:05
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] Toy soldiers

Scares the stuffing out of me, I'll tell you. I have several younger cousins
a niece and two nephews, all of whom are in the target range for this
little "campaign". (How appropriate a word.) Instead of going after our kids
recruit from those Young Republican groups, chock full of strong bodies and
perfect beliefs in the justifications behind Mister Bush's War.

Xavier Moon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Games have always prepared young people for war but, asks Pat Kane, should
we be concerned about the increasingly explicit links between digital gaming
and the military?

Thursday December 1, 2005
The Guardian

As the situation in Iraq gets bloodier and more uncontrollable, who would
take on the task of promoting the idea of enlistment to America's youth?
Step forward Colonel Casey Wardynski, who is deploying perhaps the most
cost-effective recruitment method presently available to the US army - a war
game.
Whereas television advertising costs between $5 and $10 per hour to get the
US army brand in front of each viewer, the program Colonel Wardnyski is
supporting costs an average of 10 cents per hour - based on the $2.5m annual
running costs for the website where the game America's Army is available for
free download.

And people are playing: 29 million have grabbed a copy, and there are 6.1
million active users.

But that's only the start. The whole purpose of America's Army, a
first-person-shooter simulation of army training and combat whose
development began in 1999 and which was launched in 2002 (on July 4,
Independence Day, of course), is to recruit more soldiers.

"Players can download it free from the internet, and use it to try the role
of soldier, virtually, and see if it's something they want to do in real
life," said Wardynski, who has a doctorate from Rand and is a professor at
West Point Academy, the US's pre-eminent military tuition college, at the
first Serious Games Summit in October last year.

In fact, between 20 and 40% of new US army recruits have already played the
game. The strapline on the console version, just launched in the US and due
to be in the UK by Christmas, gets to the point: "Our game developers don't
rely on imagination," it says.

So is the marriage of war and games inevitable? After all, humans play games
for wonderful, enriching reasons - and sometimes for no reason at all. But
they have always played games to prepare for war. Some of our earliest and
most enduring board games, such as chess and Go, began as teaching tools for
the children of kings and emperors. Through such games they understood
strategy, imagined the battlefield and saw the consequences of attack and
defence.

Art of war

It should be no surprise that a walk down the aisles of any computer games
retailer can seem like a visit to your local military academy. From Rome:
Total War Barbarian Invasion to Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, whether the
scenarios are fantastic or grittily realistic, the arts of war are
represented and celebrated.

But we should be aware that this link between digital gaming and the
military is more than just the latest expression of an enduring human
tradition, or the populist instinct of a highly commercial sector. These
links are explicit, current and increasingly overt. As Heather Chaplin,
co-author of Smart Bomb, a new book on the games industry, says: "I spent
four years walking into the offices of upper-echelon games developers, and
can't think of one who hadn't accepted an invitation to work for the CIA,
the FBI or the Department of Defence. It is amazing how willing the people
in the industry are to give their talents and time to military purposes."

Figures detailing the success of America's Army were presented at the summit
- sponsored by the US army - in Washington last month, and as one journalist
put it, "the army's experiment in serious gaming is starting to look like a
franchise".

As industry veterans will readily tell you, games don't get to be a
franchise if the gameplay isn't very good. America's Army is the result of
an intense embrace between the best talents of the game business and the
recruitment and training imperatives of a military superpower. In addition,
the Department of Defence has spent $100m creating an entire campus, the
Institute for Creative Technologies at the University of California, which
turns games intended for soldier training into marketable products: Full
Spectrum Warrior is the most notable example. The Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency (Darpa) - the US government's powerful military laboratory -
has a range of projects that blur the line between online gaming, virtual
worlds and military performance, employing counter-culture game gurus such
as JC Herz, the New York Times' first videogames critic.

Military roots

But this should not be so surprising. Computer games, like any hi-tech
industry, have roots in military technology: there is a direct line from the
first air force radar screen to today's pixellated hyper-real images. The
first videogames were made in the 50s and 60s, by scientists at
Massachuset's Institute of Technology funded by the Department of Defence.
Until the mid-90s, the department was funding its own, clunky, game tools
such as Simnet (for training tank drivers).

But people such as Mike Zyda, a computing pioneer who was a co-creator of
America's Army and is now director of the University of Southern
California's Viterbi School of Engineering's GamePipe Laboratory, noted some
time ago how compelling games were becoming - in terms of realistic
graphics, inventive brio and sheer cost-effectiveness. His 1997 paper,
Linking Entertainment and Defense, gave the initial rationale. A meeting in
1999 between four-star general Paul Kern and the head of Disney's
Imagineering division Bran Ferren lit the policy spark.

The spark has started a fire that has burned through the industry, and few
seem untouched by some degree of military service provision. As Chaplin
says, younger gamemakers' sanguinity in the face of this is worth some
comment. She profiles the designer Will Wright, responsible for seemingly
thoughtful and relationship-based games such as SimCity and The Sims, and
who is about to launch the new god game Spore. Yet Wright turns up for
meetings sporting his CIA-embroidered flight jacket, a thank-you for work he
did for the agency.

The chapter closes with Wright accepting the "fun" challenge from Darpa to
create a robot car that could drive to Las Vegas by itself. Why did he think
it was sponsoring the event? "Well, I think that should be pretty obvious,"
says Wright. "They want to be able to build land-based cruise missiles."

So why is the US computer games industry, as compared to, say, music, movies
or television, so explicitly gung-ho?

Partly it is the lure of "problem-solving" projects for a class of digital
expert. They are so compelled by the challenges that they bracket out any
distracting context, often involving wider ethical or political questions.
Steven Johnson's recent book Everything Bad Is Good For You made a case for
the cognitive benefits of computer games. Though the content may be violent,
the mental gymnastics involved in negotiating these complex worlds had to be
recognised, and not demonised, he argued.

What's intriguing is that this is exactly what senior military games people
such as Jeff Wilkinson, a program manager at the US army's Simulation &
Training Technology Center, want. In return for their investment, they want
a higher level of cognitive performance. "We are frequently looking for
'first-person thinker' environments and not 'first-person shooter'
environments," says Wilkinson. "This provides a significant opportunity for
gamemakers to focus their resources in new ways." He says the benefits of
investment will accrue mostly to education, not entertainment.
Science-fiction vision

Chaplin quotes Michael Macedonia, a major mover in army simulation circles,
recommending the visions of science-fiction writers such as Orson Scott
Card's Ender's Game, a novel in which six-year-olds unknowingly fight remote
wars through their gaming consoles.

Greg Costikian, a designer who recently left Nokia to start his own company,
Manifesto Games, is agnostic about the relationship between games and the
military. But unlike many, he has a strong opinion on America's Army. "Given
that we have a volunteer military, the military needs to recruit. And if
it's legitimate for them to use TV and print advertising, what's wrong with
doing so through a game?"

This position is shared by Sheldon Pacotti, the scriptwriter for the
forthcoming America's Army console game, Rise of a Soldier. His experience
on AA, working closely with special forces soldiers, was that their "nuanced
ideas about the role of an outside military force" in foreign interventions
was much more subtle than the understanding of either American politicians
or citizens. "The truth about terrorism," Pacotti told me, "is that it is
much more complex than any plot you could dream up for a game or any other
type of entertainment. The virtue of Rise of a Soldier is that it doesn't
set out to demonise the enemies, their culture, or their worldview."

The gamemakers have a point: we shouldn't automatically damn each product
that bears a military title, given that the actual gameplay may be subtler
than the blood'n'guts marketing. And it's not as if there isn't a small
counter-movement in the game sector.

The same Washington conference sponsored by the US army featured serious
games that were about non-violent conflict resolution in the Middle East,
and distribution of food by the United Nations. And the rise of modding and
machinima allows a wider and more subtle range of world-view and aesthetics,
hopefully similar to independent movies and music.

But Heather Chaplin was inspired to write Smart Bomb from the
anthropologists' old saw: show me the games of your children, and I will
show you the next hundred years. "Maybe there are people who are not
frightened by the idea of an increasingly militarised culture. But I am."

.. Pat Kane is the author of The Play Ethic: A Manifesto for a Different Way
of Living. For more information, visit www.theplayethic.typepad.com

.. If you'd like to comment on any aspect of Technology Guardian, send your
emails to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,16376,1654070,00.html

        Science fiction and fantasy   Music genres   Genre magazine

"Excuse me while I whip this out."
                    Cleavon Little , "Blazing Saddles"

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Visit your group "scifinoir2" on the web.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM