Taylor Pursuing Neon Genesis

 Oscar-winning visual-effects supervisor Richard Taylor told SCI FI Wire that
he is actively chasing his dream of realizing a live-action big-screen version
of the cult-favorite Japanese anime series Neon Genesis: Evangelion. The
series, set in 2015, centers on four seemingly ordinary Japanese teenagers
destined to save what's left of Earth and its population after a supposed
meteorite disaster and the arrival of an alien species called the Angels.

"I've just been to Japan pursuing this," Taylor said in an interview while
promoting his latest project, King Kong. "I think that is the great untold
story to the world. It is sublime. It is arguably some of the most beautiful
and poignant animation ever created, and a huge percentage of the pop culture
world now know it, but only through a live-action feature film will it
transcend that and receive the recognition for the art piece that it is."

Taylor added: "Now actually achieving it as a live-action feature film is
extremely difficult to imagine. Technologically, sure, it's doable. But at an
esoteric, universe level, it is an unbelievably impacting and dramatic story
concept. [It's got] pseudo-religious overtones, and all these wonderful motifs
are woven into it. It's something that you can generate over 26 hours of
animation, but trying to encapsulate that down into a feature film would be a
massive challenge. But we've got the endorsement of GAINAX, the original
creators, and with the right director I think it could be a very beautiful
movie. I think it's a story worthy of telling. And that's my big pursuit at the
moment. I've put an awful lot of energy into it."

Currently, the rights to Neon Genesis: Evangelion are owned by John Ledford and
ADV, America's largest distributor of anime. Taylor said that his hope is that
his company, New Zealand F/X house Weta Workshop, might assume some role in
co-producing Neon Genesis as a feature. "We'll throw our hearts into it
regardless," Taylor said. "We'll be blessed just to work on it. But it would be
an opportunity for us to look at it at a different level if [Weta were involved
in the production]."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM