http://trekweb.com/articles/2005/12/04/439363184d509.shtml

 In an exclusive interview with ComingSoon.net, STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE actor
Alexander Siddig talks about his upcoming movie SYRIANA and his feelings on
being typecast because of the character of Doctor Julian Bashir. Here are a few
excerpts.

CS: What was it about this movie that drew you to do it?

Siddig: It would be impossible not to be drawn to this movie as an actor,
especially as an Arabic actor or someone who works on the ethnic fringe in a
small vein of one of the many seams of acting. To pass up or not be interested
in someone who seems normal and real would be crazy. I end up speaking so
grandly, when I don't know if I have the right to, but to pass up the
diplomatic potential of a character like this would be really foolish. I think
whether you're in the Middle East or in Europe or America, you can identify
with this person.

CS: So being in these two movies, you've kind of escaped the "STAR TREK curse".
Were you aware that some actors go into STAR TREK and never do anything else?

Siddig: Yeah, yeah, I'm aware of that. I'm just in a very bizarre niche and
there aren't many people you can go to, but I blame Ridley Scott really,
because he was the person who went "I love STAR TREK and I'd love it if you
were in my movie" and people like Oliver Stone went "I hated STAR TREK, and I
don't want you in Alexander!" I was really lucky there. But it is Ridley
Scott's fault, because he was the one who put me in a grown-up movie. I mean
I've been in other movies, but there are different kinds of parts in movies, I
found out. There are parts that you can do them all your life, and no one knows
you're even acting, and there are other parts which people notice that you're
in and you become an actor from the movies and people take you in a whole
different way. Whether or not I can keep that ball rolling is another matter.
But I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for STAR TREK, so it's pretty great, and it
means that I'm a relatively friendly face to a lot of Americans and it's
 useful for that rather pretentious diplomatic trip I'm on.

CS: Any idea what's next for you?

Siddig: The thing I'm most interested is about HANNIBAL, an epic about
Hannibal, but it's a low budget one. It's not the Vin Diesel one. We've only
got one elephant. (Note: That last part was probably a joke.)

CS: Have any of the Arab or Palestinian directors come to you to appear in
their films?

Siddig: They wouldn't come to me yet, because I'm very much a Western actor.
Even though I would love to be all kinds of things. I'm definitely a Hollywood
person. Not enough yet, but that's where I am.

CS: You directed an episode of DEEP SPACE NINE, so would directing be something
you'd want to pursue?

Siddig: If I'm lucky enough and if I ever get smart enough to direct, I'll
direct again, but I've gotta write my own stuff, and that means reading a book
someday.

The full interview can be found here
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=12214

http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/LRMolB/TM