[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This little-known and long-surpressed history reveals yet another example of
US gov't. hypocricy - going counter to every ideal in the Constitution to
subject Native peoples to genocide and/or near-genocidal treatment.
I am not surprised - horrified and saddened - but not surprised.
> - - - - - - -
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051208/ap_on_re_us/aleut_story
> WWII Internment of Alaska Aleuts Recounted
> By JEANNETTE J. LEE, Associated Press Writer
> Thu Dec 8, 3:50 AM ET
>
> ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Mary Bourdukofsky, an Alaska Native, was at home on
> rugged St. Paul Island one Sunday in the summer of 1942 when her husband
> rushed breathlessly through the door from his weekly baseball game.
>
> The federal government was in the process of forcing 881 Aleuts to move
from
> their homes on the Pribilof and Aleutian Islands in the Bering Sea to dank
> wartime internment camps in the rain forest of Southeast Alaska 1,500
miles
> away.
>
> "He came running in and said, 'They've stopped the ball game. They've come
> to evacuate us,'" Bourdukofsky said.
>
> A new documentary film, "Aleut Story," recounts the little-known
internment
> of Aleuts during World War II. Many in the film speak publicly for the
first
> time about their experiences in the camps, where they were sent after
troops
> from Japan invaded Alaska's western outposts in June 1942.
>
> Aleuts were not suspected of spying or sabotage, as were tens of thousands
> of Japanese-Americans interned after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor in
December
> 1941.
>
> However, they were not allowed to leave the camps unless they were drafted
> into the military or coerced into working the Pribilof fur seal hunt,
which
> brought millions of dollars to the U.S. government.
>
> "My mother, when she was living, she used to start crying, so we wouldn't
> talk about" the internment, Bourdukofsky told The Associated Press.
> Bourdukofsky, now 82, was a young mother of two during the
> evacuation.
>
> Many Aleuts were thankful to be ferried out of the war zone - until they
> arrived at five overcrowded, disease-ridden sites scattered throughout
damp
> spruce rain forests.
>
> "There was a lot of sickness at the camp," said Jake Lestenkof, 73, who
was
> 11 years old when his mother died of pneumonia at a camp at Funter Bay.
> "There was a lot of pneumonia and tuberculosis ... . There were certainly
no
> medical facilities or personnel."
>
> Sanitation and pipe systems were never installed. Residents drank water
> tainted with sewage and - at one camp - runoff from the expanding
cemetery.
> One in 10 people died in the camps from 1942 to 1945, according to federal
> estimates cited in the film.
>
> "It was terrible," said Maria Turnpaugh, 78. "We lived in little shacks
full
> of holes and no running water. People got sick all the time."
>
> The film includes letters from officials who thought internment would
> protect Aleuts from the fighting in Alaska's distant western islands.
>
> "No one knew what to do with the Aleuts. They wanted to keep them under
> control of government agents," said Dorothy Jones, who researched the
Aleut
> case for the Justice Department during lawsuits in the late 1970s.
>
> Families returned to the Aleutians and Pribilofs in 1944 and 1945 to find
> their homes and Russian Orthodox churches looted by U.S. soldiers and
> rotting from years of neglect in the wind, rain and salt air.
>
> "My grandmother's house, she had a lot of old things up in her attic, lots
> of Russian antiques," said Turnpaugh of her family's return to Unalaska.
> "There was nothing left."
>
> Aleuts joined Japanese-Americans in the 1950s through the 1980s in
lawsuits
> seeking federal restitution for loss of property and civil liberties
during
> internment.
>
> In 1987, Congress approved reparations of $12,000 each to interned
> individuals who were still living; $1.4 million for damaged homes and
> churches; a $5 million trust for evacuees and descendants and $15 million
> the Aleut Native corporation.
>
> Restitution money partially funded "Aleut Story," which was nominated for
> best documentary honors this year at the American Indian Film Festival.
The
> film is airing on public television stations across the country and was
> shown Dec. 4 at the Anchorage International Film Festival.
>
> Many internment survivors saw the film in screenings in Anghorage or at
home
> with younger family members. Turnpaugh watched "Aleut Story" on public TV
by
> herself at the Senior Center in Unalaska, about halfway down the Aleutian
> chain. "I watched it alone and I'm glad I watched it alone," Turnpaugh
said.
> "I cried. To me, it was letting it all out."
>
> . . . . .
>
> On the Net:
> http://www.aleutstory.tv/

Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/LRMolB/TM