Hmmm context is everything. In 1978, the late Max Robinson was the
first African American *network* news anchor (on ABC) in the USA.
That wasn't so long ago. How many black network anchors since Max?
Not local anchors, but network anchors?

George

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Johnson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Amazing. To think that this first takes place in 2006!  All the
things I'd heard about France over the decades made me think it was
way more progressive and tolerant than the US. And maybe it is
(was?) in some ways. I mean, I used to read about James Baldwin and
all these great jazz artists going there to be treated better than
they had been in the US. Even with all the recent racial/cultural
strife, I'm still in minor shock to find out it's never had a Black
news anchor. Better late than never I guess. I'm just glad that
they're bringing a Black man along pretty soon too. But makes me
wonder: all things considered, is there really anywhere on Earth
better for Black people than America?

> First black TV anchor an inspiration in France
>
> By DON MELVIN
> Cox News
> Published on: 04/12/2006
>
> The moment that changed Audrey Pulvar's life came when she was 12
years old and growing up in the Caribbean, on the French island of
Martinique. She looked at a television and happened to see Christine
Ockrent, a woman known for her presence and authority, anchoring a
French newscast.

<snip>