Time to watch (again) these 2 movies:

- The Day The Earth Stood Still
- When Worlds Collide

The messages in both still apply today, even though they were made
45+ years ago. Question is: will we listen today, or at all?

George
Captain
The USS Ronald E. McNair (Boston)
--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well, that's all well and good, but if we take the same racism,
sexism, religious fanaticism, and utter disregard for Nature into
the galaxy, we're really just delaying or prolonging our tendency to
destroy things. A microcosm of an expansion into the galaxy can be
seen in how the Old World came into the New: sure, the Americas were
an outlet for criminals, the oppressed, those seeking new adventures
(not to mention riches), but how many millions died in the process?
A shaky trade at best, the creation of the US at the cost of untold
millions of Natives and Africans.  Going into space because we may
destroy ourselves on Earth only means we're giving ourselves a
bigger stage on which to--destroy ourselves.  If Hawking thinks
someone may drop a killer virus on Earth, then in a couple of
centuries the concern may be mass drivers hurling asteroids at whole
systems, or armadas raining antimatter down onto unsuspecting
planets.   We're like locusts in the main: ravaging an area, then mov
> ing on.  Until we curb that tendency, we'd really just be carrying
our bad habits to the starts

> From: "Brent Wodehouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060613/D8I7ADB81.html
>
> Hawking Says Humans Must Go Into Space
>
> Jun 13
>
> By SYLVIA HUI
>
> HONG KONG (AP) - The survival of the human race depends on its
ability to
> find new homes elsewhere in the universe because there's an
increasing
> risk that a disaster will destroy the Earth, world-renowned
scientist
> Stephen Hawking said Tuesday.
>
> The British astrophysicist told a news conference in Hong Kong
that humans
> could have a permanent base on the moon in 20 years and a colony
on Mars
> in the next 40 years.
>
> "We won't find anywhere as nice as Earth unless we go to another
star
> system," added Hawking, who arrived to a rock star's welcome
Monday.
> Tickets for his lecture planned for Wednesday were sold out.
>
> He added that if humans can avoid killing themselves in the next
100
> years, they should have space settlements that can continue without
> support from Earth.
>
> "It is important for the human race to spread out into space for
the
> survival of the species," Hawking said. "Life on Earth is at the
> ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as
sudden
> global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or
other
> dangers we have not yet thought of."
>
> The 64-year-old scientist - author of the global best seller "A
Brief
> History of Time" - is wheelchair-bound and communicates with the
help of a
> computer because he suffers from a neurological disorder called
> amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS.
>
> Hawking said he's teaming up with his daughter to write a
children's book
> about the universe, aimed at the same age range as the Harry
Potter books.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM