I am so glad that I wasn't the only one to notice that! What kind of hogwash
was that?? I also think that the actor,,,I don't even know his name...was very
weak in his portrayal...Or is it that they just didn't give him a chance to
show his ability? Hell, even his sidekick had a stronger presence! I was VERY
disappointed...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:           Minor spoilers:

What did you think? I was disappointed frankly. For one thing, Blade was more
of a guest star in his own show. The show premiered at 10:03 EST.
It was 11:31 before I noted Blade continuously onscreen for more than five
minutes. He didn't utter more than two or three sentences until that time
either. He'd just show up in a couple of quick fights--shot too quickly, please
still that camera!--then disappear. Then again, for two or three minutes of
pithy one-liners, and gone again. Later still, a few quick shots of him tooling
around on his bike, and another disappearing act.

Jill "Mercury Girl" Wagner, who I thought was going to be a sidekick, was the
show. The whole thing was about her trying to investigate and avenge the death
of her brother, her getting caught up in the vampire life, and the ultimate
thing that happens that literally puts her more on a footing with Blade. That
last development opens up the door even more for Wagner's character being more
central to the show. Even my wife, who was only casually watching, asked "Where
is Blade?" The premiere being shorter than i expected (about an hour and forty
minutes instead of two hours) meant Wagner got a huge percentage of the screen
time. And her time was seconded not by Jones' Blade, but by the evil vampire
Blade was battling. So the "sidekick" and the villain got way more screen time
than the hero? Is this going to be the future, with Wagner the focus and Sticky
Jones more of a guest star?

Jones himself didn't impress me. He was hunched over and pimp-walking too much
for my taste. I envision Blade gliding more the way Snipes did it, but Jones
plays him with a street thug walk. It ain't *wrong*, and maybe young folks will
say it works, but i was looking for more classic cool, less 'hood attitude.
Other than the walk, i really can't fairly criticize Jones too much. I wasn't
impressed with his fighting or acting skills, but given that he was onscreen
for maybe a third of the show, the fights lasted all of 60 seconds, and he
never spoke more than a couple of sentences at a time, how much time did he
have to make an impression?

As for the plot, it was very typical fare, and I guess I'll hold off judgement
until a few more eps are aired. The vampires--from leader to underlings--were
the typical young, wannabe sexy, leather-wearing, teeth-baring, partygoing
vamps we've seen on film and TV in recent years. Nothing unique about any of
them, including the lead bad vamp, who of course has a vaguely European accent
and a name with the dreaded "van something" in it (do all vampires have Eastern
European last names?) Unremarkable plot. The fights, typical of a lot of stuff
nowadays, were too quickly shot, with music video treatment that keeps one from
really seeing the action (which didn't look that professional anyway). But I'll
cut 'em some slack on the story, characters, and action, 'cause even
"Highlander" was rough around the edges in some ways when it premiered.

I don't know if the show will mature with stories and acting the way
"Highlander" did. Don't know if Jones can grow into the role the way Adrian
Paul did as Duncan McLeod. I do know the premiere makes wonder if he'll get the
chance. If this is gonna be one of those series where the ostensible lead has
to share major time with the supposed sidekick, I don't know how much I'll keep
watching. Hopefully future eps will prove me wrong.

"La'V' is always watching...Be careful who you talk to." - The Side Street
Chonicles by C.W. Badie

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM