His Babylon 5 bias is showing. I loved the season openers and the
subtle changes to the music to reflect that part of the story arc.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "brent wodehouse"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.ggl.com/kunochan/2006/08/best-and-worst-sci-fi-tv-show-
openings.html

> Thursday, August 03, 2006
>
> The Best and Worst Sci-Fi TV Show Openings
>

> I suffer from insomnia, and you benefit. Here are my picks for 10
Best and
> 10 Worst Opening Credits for Genre TV Shows.
>
> By "genre," I mean science fiction, fantasy, and horror. I only
included
> shows made in English. I also decided to limit myself to those
credits
> sequences I could find online - but this turned out not to be a
problem.
> Hooray for youtube! Hooray for copyright violations!
>
> I was worried that I would subconsciously rate the title sequences
not on
> their own merit, but based on the quality of the show overall. But
I ended
> up with one of the worst shows of all time on the "Best" list, and
one of
> the best on the "Worst" list. And they both have the same title!
>
> Numerical order is approximate.
>

> The 10 Best
>

> 10. "Battlestar Galactica" (1979)
>
> One of the most common mistakes made by sci-fi TV openings is the
> "expository monologue," with which jittery television executives
try to
> explain the show's premise to viewers who don't "get" sci-fi. As I
> researched this list, I learned how ubiquitous this problem is.
Blah blah
> blah.
>
> The original BSG features a long, long, loooong expository
monologue. Yeah
> yeah, Toltecs and Mayans, got it. But the monologue is well
written, and
> it's read with tremendous gravity by the brilliant Patrick Macnee,
who
> also voiced the Imperious Leader. The theme song kicks ass. And
most
> importantly, the edited scenes (viewed through a circle - why?)
really
> make the show look impressive. Too bad it sucked ass.
>

> 9. "The Greatest American Hero" (1981-83)
>
> It's all about the theme song, baby. Mike Post's theme song is
goofy,
> poppy, cheesy, and almost but not entirely unrelated to the
content of the
> show. And once you hear it, you will NEVER get it out of your
head. This
> credits sequence is fun, funny, and engaging, and it has no
expository
> monologue whatsoever. That UFO, left over from one of Steven
Spielberg's
> garage sales, is also very cool.
>

> 8. "Mystery Science Theater 3000" (1988-1999)
>
> "Robot roll call!" We're only concerned with the first two credit
> sequences here, the original Joel Hogdson credits and the first
Mike
> Nelson opening. After Frank Conniff left, the show jumped the
shark; and
> once it moved to the Sci Fi Channel, well, it's just best not to
think
> about it. Catchy song, goofy models and puppets, and the
iconic "corridor
> crawl" a la "Get Smart." And the theme song doubled as the
expository
> monologue, which was a real time saver.
>

> 7. "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987-1994)
>
> What do you get when you cross the theme from "Star Trek The
Motionless
> Picture" with the Shakespearean monologing skills of Patrick
Stewart and a
> clever tribute the opening of the original "Star Trek?" Um, this
opening,
> duh. By the way, the original "Star Trek" opening was pretty weak
> ("whoosh! whoosh!), although nowhere near bad enough to make
the "worst"
> list. As far as I can tell, "Space… the final frontier…" invented
the
> expository monologue.
>

> 6. "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993-1999)
>
> There was nothing special about the DS9 opening until season four,
about
> the time the show started to not completely suck. The morose theme
song
> got a boost from a bouncy backing track, and the CG guys added a
bunch of
> business involving spaceships, little space-suited construction
workers,
> and the Defiant flying into the wormhole. Suddenly, Deep Space 9
became a
> place you might conceivably care about. Then, in season seven, they
> screwed the whole thing up. This award goes to seasons 4-6 only.
(Special
> props to DS9 for dropping the "Final Frontier" speech.)
>

> 5. "Star Trek: Voyager" (1995-2001)
>
> Finally, the "Star Trek" credits sequence perfected. Great theme,
> excellent effects. Of course, in 9 out of 10 episodes, once the
opening
> credits ended it was all downhill from there.
>

> 4. "Doctor Who" (1963-89, 1996, 2005-present)
>
> First let's discuss that theme song. When some hack isn't ruining
it by
> trying to "update" it, Ron Grainer's "Doctor Who" theme is spacey,
> dramatic and memorable. Most of the "Doctor Who" credits sequences
have
> been mediocre or terrible (see this - Jesus Christ, did that
Zardozian
> giant floating head just wink at me? Exterminate! Exterminate!),
but two
> really stand out. Coincidentally, they're the openings for the two
best
> Doctors to date. Tom Baker's (1974-81) was modeled after previous
> openings, and included the dreaded "head shot." But the music was
great,
> the effects were cool, and you got to see the TARDIS fly around. In
> Christopher Eccleston's credits (2005), the music was great, the
effects
> were cool, and you got to see the TARDIS fly around. And no
headshot!
> Plus, "Doctor Who" has never burdened us with an expository
monologue. Can
> you imagine trying to explain "Doctor Who" in 30 seconds?
>

> 3. "The Six Million Dollar Man" (1974-78)
>
> The awkwardly-titled series that made Lee Majors a star had opening
> credits as heart-pounding and dramatic as anything on TV. Steve
Austin's
> whole origins story was presented in under a minute - and they
didn't tell
> us, they showed us. Sure, Richard Anderson (no relation to Dean)
talks
> through the credits, but he's in the story, trying to convince his
unnamed
> listener that blowing $6,000,000 in 1970s dollars to turn a
crippled
> astronaut, and the astronaut's girlfriend and dog, into cybernetic
freaks
> isn't a violation of the public trust. This opening is artistic and
> beautifully edited; and the cheesy theme song doesn't cut in until
the
> last 15 seconds.
>

> 2. "Space: 1999" (1975-77)
>
> This is a really interesting case. Some openings, like "The X-
Files" or
> "Farscape," were good, but not good enough to make it onto
the "Best"
> list. (To answer your question - "The X-Files" had a great theme,
but the
> visuals were dorky as hell. Oh look - Mulder is falling into an
eye!
> Spooky!) Some were bad, but not terrible enough to make
the "Worst" list
> (see "Lost In Space"). Only "Space: 1999" almost made it onto both
lists.
> The great: brilliant music, heart-pounding action, real drama, and
no
> expository monologue. The terrible: it's overwrought to the point
of
> silliness - "SEPT 13!!!! 1999!!!!" In the end, the good beats out
the bad.
> BTW, we are ignoring the hideous second season opening, just as we
ingore
> the hideous second season.
>
> (For more Gerry Anderson goodness, check out "Thunderbirds," which
just
> barely missed the Best list.)
>

> 1. "Firefly" (2002)
>
> Wow. Just… wow. I'm not going to ruin it with words. If you don't
get it,
> nothing I say can help. Burn the land and boil the sea - you can't
take
> the sky from me.
>
> (And Gina Torres gets to be the only actor on both the Best and
Worst
> lists, unless you count Richard Hatch.)
>

> -----------
>
> The 10 Worst
>

> 10. "Land of Lost" (1974-77)
>
> No, this isn't on the "worst" list for the silly "special
effects," or for
> the dialogue during the giant dinosaur puppet attack. ("C'mon,
let's get
> out of here!" ORLY? You're not going to stick around and become
> Tyrannosaurus food?) No, it's the song. The lyrics are okay,
explaining
> what plot the show had to impressionable Gen X kids. But the music?
> Yee-haw! I reckon' it's a hoe down! Grab a jug of moonshine,
Cletus, and
> we's gonna go bugger us some Sleestaks!
>
> (Oh, and if you never understood why Will Ferrell's character
in "Jay and
> Silent Bob Strike Back" was named Marshall Willenholly - now you
do.)

> 9. "Manimal" (1983
>
> Once I had this weird dream. I turned into that pretty British man
from
> "Falcon Crest." Everything was strange colors, and I was attacked
by a
> bird and a cougar. It was so dramatic! Then suddenly I was in a
wacky
> romantic comedy with that nurse from "St. Elsewhere!" Wha-? What
happened
> to the bird/cat guy? Why am I standing around with my bi-racial
posse,
> cracking wise and sharing a hearty laugh? Wasn't there something
about
> vertebrate polymorphism? Now some wacky woman is stepping on my
foot! HA!
> A passing car just sprayed us with water! HA! Oh ho ho, my sides
are
> splitting! And then… then I fell asleep and had the dream. (Stay
tuned
> after the credits for an expository monologue so long I never made
it all
> the way through).
>

> 8. "The Bionic Woman" (1976-78)
>
> Despite its flaws, "The Bionic Woman" was a much better show than
its
> progenitor, "The Six Million Dollar Man." For one thing, Lindsay
Wagner is
> STILL hot - I'll climb into her Sleep Number bed any time. Also,
she never
> ever befriended Bigfoot. But the opening sequence is just a lame
attempt
> to rehash the "Six Million" credits, and it fails utterly. There's
too
> much reading; and is that the only photo of Wagner the producers
could
> find? And why do the credits emphasize Jaimie Sommers' teaching
career,
> and Oscar's unrequited love for her? She's a freakin' superpowered
> crime-fighting robot who works for a super-secret spy agency! Her
opening
> credits shouldn't look like a douche commercial.
>

> 7. "Xena: Warrior Princess" (1995-2001)
>
> "Xena" and "Hercules" were good shows. Either you "got" it, or you
didn't.
> I wasn't a huge fan, but I got it. And no one expects a show this
bi-polar
> to have a brilliant credits sequence. Let's review the charges. (1)
> Bagpipe music? Okay, this show could never quite decide where or
when it
> took place. But I'm pretty damn sure it's not in medieval
Scotland. (2)
> It's got a terrible expository monologue. Like we even need one -
 "it's a
> chick in a steel bikini" would cover it. The monologue is read by
that "In
> a world…" movie preview guy. It goes on and on and on. We don't
get facts
> about the characters and plot, just the kind of vapid marketing-
speak you
> would expect in a movie trailer. "A mighty princess forged in the
heat of
> battle?" That's not even a real metaphor. Seriously, all we needed
was
> some generically exciting music and clips of two ancient
Mediterranean
> lesbians kicking ass.
>

> 6. "Charmed" (1998-2006
>
> How dare you motherfuckers ruin The Smiths' "How Soon Is Now?" How
DARE
> you? I won't even start in on the cheap-ass visuals - ooh!
Somebody took a
> class in After Effects! No, I can't get past the music thing. I'm
too
> angry. I need to go calm down. How many lives will Shannen Doherty
ruin

> 5. "Babylon 5" (1994-1998)
>
> There are two kinds of sci-fi fans who just can't shut up about
their
> favorite show. Browncoats are pathetic because, while "Firefly" is
one of
> the best series ever made, there are only 14 episodes (and a
movie). B5
> fans are pathetic because, while they have 110 episodes comprising
> complete story arc, every single episode sucks.
>
> Each season of B5 had a different opening, but each was as bad as
the
> last. Longest expository dialogue ever. Longest credits ever (must
have
> saved on episode costs, just like the cheap CG and the
cheap "sets"). "The
> name of the place… is Babylon 5!" Yaaaawn.
>

> 4. "V" (1984-85)
>
> Marc "BeastMaster" Singer takes out a reptilian evil alien baddie -
 with
> his genitals. And that's the best part of this cheese-ridden
opening, an
> 80s-era Supercuts ad scored with the "space music" setting on a
Casio.

> (Anyone notice the weird overlap between the "V" opening and
the "Firefly"
> opening? Spooky.)
>

> 3. "Battlestar Galactica" (2003, 2004-present)
>
> Possibly the Best Science Fiction Show Ever, and its here in
the "Worst"
> list. Why? Is it the music? No, the original American theme, Bear
> McCreary's "Two Funerals," was just fine; the new theme from the
British
> version is even better. Is it the clips from the miniseries? No,
they're
> fine. The lame expository subtitles? (You know, "The Cylons were
created
> by man…" blah blah.) Nah, they're useless, but not really
annoying. Maybe
> there's not enough Grace Park? True, the titles need more Grace
Park. But
> that's not the problem. Then what's wrong? I'll tell you what the
frack is
> wrong. Each episode beings with 30 seconds of clips from the
episode
> itself. Brief images designed to tease? No. SPOILERS. There is not
an
> episode of BSG that has not had some big dramatic turn ruined by
the
> opening spoilers. Ron, buddy, listen - if I'm watching the opening
> credits, I'm already watching the show. You don't have to sell me.
BSG is
> clever and fast-paced, full of unforeseeable twists and turns -
> unforeseeable, that is, if you close your eyes during the opening
titles.
> Otherwise, you're screwed. The fans have been complaining about
this for
> two seasons, Ron. Cut it out. Oh, and we want more Grace Park.
Maybe a
> spin-off series where Boomer discovers a planet of sexy Amazons
and opens
> a lingerie store.
>

> 2. "Cleopatra 2525" (2000-2001)
>
> Before this article went to press, I ran my choices past my friend
Paul.
> After hearing my "worst" choice, all he had to say was, what about
> "Cleopatra 2525?" I have never watched the show; but I trust his
opinion,
> so I checked it out.
>
> Oh. My. God.
>
> That's "Firefly" star and Mrs. Laurence Fishburne, Gina Torres!
What the
> hell??? Is that her impersonating Geoffrey ("Crisp and clean! No
> caffeine!") Holder in the expository monologue? And let's talk
about this
> song for a moment. Zager & Evans' 1969 "hit" "In the Year 2525" was
> craptastic enough without this histrionic cover with the cutesy
lyrics.
> Yeah, take a crappy show with crappy effects and crappy costumes,
and add
> a crappy monologue and a crappy cover of a crappy song, and know
what you
> get? Crap. (By the way, for 60 seconds of fun, check out the
opening to
> "Cleopatra's" "sibling" show, "Jack of All Trades." We love you,
Bruce
> Campbell!)
>

> 1. "Enterprise" (2001-2005)
>
> Worst sci-fi show of all time? Of course not - that was "Small
Wonder. But