Hello! Since I no longer get the SciFi Channel (e.g., I get
the "antenna service" version of cable since it is cheap -- $8 per
month), a friend Tivoed the pilot of Eureka and I was able to watch
it Sunday. I found it quite entertaining and enjoyable. The show
seemed like oa mix of Northern Exposure, X-Files, and Picket Fences.
I was only able to watch the pilot episode, so my comments are
limited to it.

It was far more enjoyable than ANY episode of Enterprise and more
appealing than the horror stuff the Sci-Fi channel tends to show. I
wouldn't describe the residents of Eureka as "superior beings."
Rather, I'd describe them as "high-IQ" because they still do some
stupid stuff, which causes lots of mayhem, humor, and confusion. And
we all know that high-IQ folks aren't superior... they may be
smarter, but definitely aren't superior. Especially if that high-IQ
isn't balanced with social skills and such.

The DoD rep was stunningly beautiful. I hope that she's around on
the show for a while. Does anyone know this actress' name? I'll
probably watch Eureka like I watch Las Vegas... via NetFlix... when
the DVD is released.

George
Captain
The USS Ronald E. McNair (Boston)

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Great, I still have last week's Stargate premieres on tape, along
with "Avatar", and now another new show pops up. This one
is "Eureka", a Sci Fi original about a town of apparently superiour
beings.  It looks to be some good quirky fun, especially fitting for
the summer. Long as it doesn't suck, I'll give it a try, if for no
other reason than the fact that Salli Richardson-Whitfield is in the
series, looking more fetching than ever! Whew!
> Oh, there's also going to be an extended trailer from season 3
of "Battlestar Galactica" played sometime during Eureka's premiere.

> About the series:
>
> As World War II came to a close with mushroom clouds over
Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the impact that science and technology would
have on the continued security of our world became catastrophically
apparent. America nearly lost the race to build the atomic bomb; it
could not risk such a close call again.

> With the help of Albert Einstein and other trusted advisors,
President Harry S. Truman commissioned a top-secret residential
development in a remote area of the Pacific Northwest, one that
would serve to protect and nurture America's most valuable
intellectual resources. There our nation's greatest thinkers, the
über-geniuses working on the next era of scientific achievement,
would be able to live and work in a supportive environment. The best
architects and planners were commissioned to design a welcoming
place for these superlative geniuses to reside, an area that would
offer the best education for their children, the best healthcare,
the best amenities and quality of life. A community was created to
rival the most idyllic of America's small towns — with one major
difference: this town would never appear on any maps. At least, none
that haven't been classified "eyes only" by the Pentagon.

> Thus, the town of Eureka was born. But for all its familiar, small-
town trappings, things in this secret hamlet are anything but
ordinary. The stereotype of the absent-minded professor exists for a
reason, and most of the quantum leaps in science and technology
during the past 50 years were produced by Eureka's elite
researchers. Unfortunately, scientific exploration is rarely what
one expects, and years of experiments gone awry have yielded some
peculiar by-products.

> From unrequited love to professional jealousy, from addiction to
depression, the problems of Eureka's townsfolk stem from life's
myriad of everyday challenges. But with the population's unique
talents, troubled psyches and limitless resources, these small-town
concerns have a way of becoming big-time problems. It is at that
intersection, where human frailty and super-science collide, that
Eureka begins….

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: