From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of George
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 6:31 PM
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [scifinoir2] Freedom for a Day -- A Personal Reflection

FYI, in case you hadn't read this commentary. This
will be a simply wonderful event to watch. I am so
happy! I remember the first black quarterback in the
NFL in the 1970's... James Harris. Then later, the
first black quarterback in the Super Bowl... Doug
Williams. Finally both coaches, but it took waaaay too
long.

BTW, I wonder how the owner of the Tampa Bay
Buccaneers feels?

George
- - - - - - - -
http://diversityinc <http://diversityinc.com/public/1168.cfm>
.com/public/1168.cfm
Super Bowl XLI: Freedom for a Day -- A Personal
Reflection
By Yoji Cole

(c) DiversityInc 2007 (R) All rights reserved.

As a black American, I can't wait to sit before a
television set with my double cheeseburger, my
ketchup-and-mustard-covered hotdog, my crunchy chips,
and my bottle of beer and watch the Super Bowl this
year.

And yes, if you haven't heard yet, I am excited
because Super Bowl XLI will be the first in history to
feature two black coaches -- Tony Dungy, coach of the
Indianapolis Colts and Lovie Smith, coach of the
Chicago Bears. (See also: 2 Black Coaches at the Super
Bowl -- Yes, It's a VERY Big Deal at
http://www.diversit <http://www.diversityinc.com/public/1163.cfm>
yinc.com/public/1163.cfm ) For me
and the millions of other black people who will watch
the game, that means freedom.

Freedom from what, you might ask? Well, because Super
Bowl XLI will feature the play-calling of two black
men, I won't have to worry about whether or not the
intellectual capacity of black men will come into
question if the black coach loses. I can sit back,
eat, drink and be merry with the rest of Latino, Asian
and white America.

Black Americans, for generations, have dealt with the
racial stereotyping -- we all do this or that
depending on what the non-black person saw a black
person do. If they saw the black person do something
bad, then it's almost definitely an indication of
failings of the black race. So if one black person
can't swim, then all black people can't swim. If one
black woman is falsely identified as cheating the
welfare system, then all black women cheat the welfare
system. If one black quarterback is celebrated in the
press, then it's because he's black and not because
his play was deserving, etc.

Stereotypes do sometimes work the other way -- if one
black person is good at something, then all black
people have a chance to be good at that thing as well.
But unless it's dancing, singing, or playing
basketball or football, I rarely come across that
stereotype.

And the most depressing part of stereotypes is when
the target group starts to believe them. Too many
black friends tell me what black people don't do
instead of telling me what black people do. Too many
black people let stereotypes decide their fate and
keep them out of certain arenas than chose to prove
they as black people can do anything well.

External stereotypes and internal stereotypes won't
matter at Super Bowl XLI though. This year, I'll sit
back with my black, Asian-American, Latino and white
friends and know that no one can question whether the
black coach made the right or wrong decision because
he's from an inner-city school or lacks leadership
skills, or because he's more of a motivator who can
relate to the black players but not a pigskin
tactician. Because two black head coaches will be
working the sidelines Super Bowl Sunday, the social
field of play in that stadium will truly be level.

Undoubtedly, a black coach will lose. But just as
surely, a black coach will win. And neither will win
or lose because they are black. I don't know any other
event in my short time on this earth that has afforded
me this freedom as a black person!

White people get that freedom all the time. Almost
every time a coach or corporate chieftain flubs a call
and loses a game or bilks thousands of people out of
millions of dollars, there's another example of a good
white person doing the same job and doing it right.
The diversity within the white community is so
ubiquitous that very rarely do white folk find
themselves "representing their race." White folks'
good or bad actions are simply that — actions by
individuals and not the whole group. Black people
usually don't get that freedom. But rest assured I
will enjoy it on Super Bowl Sunday.
-0-

Cheap talk?
http://voice. <http://voice.yahoo.com> yahoo.com