http://www.batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

DK Cast News
Author: Jett
Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 6:54 PM: One of my favorite sites, LATINO
REVIEW, has scored some inside scoop on THE DARK KNIGHT's casting process:

"'HARVEY DENT' is in THE DARK KNIGHT. Matt Damon passed on the role. The
filmmakers met Josh Lucas and there is an interest in Jamie Foxx and Ed
Norton. I'm pretty sure there are other actors that I'm not aware of up
for the Harvey Dent role. Now the big news is that the character of
'RACHEL DAWES' is back...but Katie Holmes won't be playing her!"

OK, let’s dissect this. LR says that Matt Damon passed on Harvey Dent.
Is this why there was not announcement last Fall/early Winter? They
mention Jamie Foxx, Ed Norton, and Josh Lucas -- all of those names were
first brought to you by...yeah, that’s right, yours truly. BOF also told
y’all that Katie Holmes would not return -- it just wasn’t clear whether
or not the “Rachel Dawes” character was gone too.

LR also says that there are roles for: "Eastern European Heavy - tough
bad guy mobster, 40s-50s, Female Cop - Latin, 30s. 'Elizabeth Pena'
type, and an Asian Accountant - male, 40s." Latin female cop? Rene
Montoya no doubt! Click on the link provided to read the entire report
from my friends at LR! Oh yeah, LR has the scoop on The Penguin/Oswald
Cobblepott in TDK -- head over there to find out.

UPDATED: VARIETY is confirming that Katie Holmes is not returning to TDK:

"Holmes, who is making her return to acting after maternity leave, has
dropped out of 'The Dark Knight,' Warner Bros.' Christopher
Nolan-directed sequel to 'Batman Begins.' Christian Bale, Michael Caine
and Gary Oldman are locked for returns, and Heath Ledger is set to play
the Joker in the pic, which begins shooting this spring."

The now confirms what BOF reported weeks ago: Katie Holmes would not be
back. Now, if she dropped out, is the role being recast as reported by
LATINO REVIEW? The scuttlebutt is that Rachel McAdams is set to take
over the role. Now, I have heard McAdam's name mentioned in conjunction
with TDK. We'll soon see if she is the "New Rachel" or not I guess.

SEMI-EDITORIAL: All you Katie Holmes fans can stop with the emails, OK?
Yes, I did say that she was the weak link of the cast in BATMAN BEGINS.
But I also said that was more due to the other actors and not her
performance. I also said that I was all for Katie and the “Rachel Dawes”
character returning -- as long as she served an important role in THE
DARK KNIGHT. Frankly, I’ve yet to see why “Rachel” should return -- and
no, not because “Rachel and Bruce make a cute couple.” Puh-leeze...