It's the Rihannsu blood in me...

Astromancer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:          Are you trying to factor common
sense into this???

Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Come on! The hew-mons took that *seriously*?
Didn't they get the memo?

Astromancer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Remember War of The Worlds?

Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: My first thought upon seeing this story was
that this happened in several US cities, but the huge panic only sprang up in
Boston. Wondering why aloud...

The Yokozuna Of Soul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I've run street promotion teams
where we put stickers up in major
cities and had to pay a fine. We've put up signs in grass and did
not have permission. We've put posters over post no bills signs. This
stunt was guerilla marketing, and such marketing runs a risk of this
exact outcome. You can be sued, your marketing team can be
arrested...it can get crazy. So you prepare yourself to pay for the
worst case scenario. This has been going on for a long time, but
ever since 9/11, our society is so afraid of it's own shadow that
we jump whenever someone says Boo.

I think this was irresponsible on the part of Williams Street/Cartoon
Network, but I also think that it worked. It was supposed to catch
our attention. It did. It was against the law. So they'll pay. But as
for us shaking our fists at "young people" for how we act towards
property....I think that's a very short conversation. We're paying a
lot of money for a certain department of this government to prevent
anything serious from happening to us as citizens. Now, either all
that tax money is going to make episodes of "24", or there is a
homeland security department for real, and I shouldn't have to worry
about stuff like this. Which is it? If it's the former, then I submit
that THAT is what we need to be up in arms about.

Just my opinion.

Daryle

On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:26 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
> placing the devices on people's private property without their
> permission is the same as defacing walls with graffitti... not that
> graffitti is acceptable anywhere.
>
> People, especially the youth, need to remember that this is the town
> where 2 planes took off from our airport that crashed into buildings
> on 9-11. So the heightened state of vigilance here is understandable
> and appropriate. IMHO, the people that yell today about our local
> government's supposed "over reaction" would likely be the same
> people yelling if the government didn't respond and it was a true
> terrorist attack.
>
> It is unclear if the devices were up for 3 weeks here. They were up
> longer in other cities, but most people here say they weren't up
> long here.
>
> People need to remember that there is already some unease in Boston.
> There are 2 nuclear reactors within a 1.5 hour drive of the city;
> plus several biochemical facilities within city limits, and one of
> the 4 larges LNG terminals is across Boston harbor in Chelsea. With
> all of those high-value targets nearby, a heightened state of
> vigilence is very appropriate, IMHO.
>
> I definitely believe that the Turner Network and the Cartoon Network
> should reimburse my city for their expenses. I don't want to pay
> those expenses thru higher taxes, to fund their self-interested
> marketing stunt. If they don't pay, you can bet I'll work hard for a
> boycott of their cable channels.
>
> George
> Captain
> USS Ronald E. McNair (Boston)
>
> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure what to say about this publicity stunt. Seeing as
> how the devices aren't small, and they are lighted advertisements,
> didn't the marketers have some kind of obligation to get permission
> to put them out? This was a little more than nailing a sign to a
> telephone pole, after all. If nothing else, I'd have obtained some
> type of permission from the city before dumping several dozen
> electronic devices on bridges and stuff. They might have been simply
> destroyed at best. And, I have to say, this marketing campaign
> wasn't all that effective if the things sat unnoticed for three
> weeks. I live in Atlanta, spend all my time in the city where this
> campaign should be most noticeable. Most of all, I drive by the
> Cartoon Network headquarters at least ten times a week, and I
> *never* saw a one-foot cartoon character giving me the finger!
> >
> > Did any of you in Austin, San Fran, Chi-Town, or NYC notice these
> things?

> > 2 Men Held on Bond in Boston Hoax Case
> > By JAY LINDSAY, Associated Press Writer
> > 3 hours ago
> > BOSTON - Two men who authorities say placed electronic advertising
> devices around the city were released from jail Thursday, apparently
> amused with the publicity stunt that stirred fears of terrorism and

If any one of our restaurants were better than the rest, then customers would
flocck to that location, creating a mass imbalance that could create a black
hole, which would swallow the Earth. That's why we make every McDonald's from
Pomona to Poughkeepsie the same good place to eat, thereby saving the
Universe.-from McDonald's commercial ,28 January 1990

"Is anybody hungry?" - W Zeddemore, "The Real Ghostbusters", 'The Cabinet of
Calamari'

"Such music flow on the Fringe...and no one can resist singing to Scarlet." -
The Side Street Chonicles by C.W. Badie