have problems?

From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I'm glad you enjoyed Civil War. I thought it was a colossal letdown.
And why didn't this happen at the end of the series?

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I started to scream "You ruined it for me!" to the person who sent
me this, as I haven't bought Cap #25 yet. Was going to do it tonight.
But, I guess the news is all over the waves and the Net, the same way
the "death" of Superman, and Spidey's unmasking were news before the
omics hit the stands. I'm sure Steve Rogers isn't really dead. He is
either underground, or the Super Soldier serum will revive him. After
all, freakin' *Bucky Barnes* was supposedly killed in WWII, and now
we find out he's alive and operating as teh assassin Winter Soldier!

> The Civil War was awesome. The resolution of it was thought-
provoking. I won't give away the ending of the Civil War, but check
the stands for a guide book to what's coming next, called "The
Initiative". It has to do with implementation of Tony Stark and Hank
Pym's plan to create a government sanctioned super team in each state
in America.
> I've really enjoyed this. Sure, some may question the heavy-handed
didactic nature of Cap fighting for "freedom and justice". Many have
expressed doubt that Cap would fight the government over
Registration. But I've loved it, and loved the reflections of our
real-life struggles with freedom under the Bush Regime.

> I think the future of the Initiative is gonna be wild. Spidey is
back in his black costume--there's a whole series in his books under
the titel "Back in Black". And of course theres the continued
repurcussions of his unmasking.

> ***************************
> "Cinque" [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> BY ETHAN SACKS
> DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
>
> Comic book icon Captain America lies sprawled on courthouse steps
after Marvel hero is gunned down by sniper. (Art by Steve Epting)

> Cover of 1941 debut
>

> Captain America is dead. The Marvel Entertainment superhero,
created in 1941 as a patriotic adversary for the Nazis, is killed off
in Captain America #25, which hits the stands today.
> As Captain America emerges from a courthouse building, he is struck
by a sniper's bullet in the shoulder and then hit again in the
stomach, blood seeping out of his star-spangled costume.
> His death is sure to ignite controversy in the comic book world -
still reeling from Superman's death in 1993 and resurrection the
following year - and even political pundits, who may see Captain
America's demise as an allegory for the United States.
> "It's a hell of a time for him to go. We really need him now," said
co-creator Joe Simon, 93, after being informed of his brainchild's
death.
> Simon and artist Jack Kirby came up with the character in 1941 as
an adversary for Adolf Hitler, who was more evil than any villain the
pair could dream up. Since then, the patriotic hero has appeared in
an estimated 210 million copies sold in 75 countries.
> Not bad for an imaginary sickly kid from the lower East Side named
Steve Rogers, who volunteered to be injected with Super Soldier serum
during World War II.
> Part of Captain America's allure was that he had no true
superpowers; the serum made him an example of a human being at his
utmost potential.
> He could bench-press 1,100 pounds, run a mile in about a minute and
outsmart any spy.
> Series writer Ed Brubaker - who grew up reading Captain America
comics while his father, a naval intelligence officer, was stationed
on Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - said it wasn't easy to kill off the
character. The 40-year-old, however, wanted to explore what the hero
meant to the country in these polarized times.
> "What I found is that all the really hard-core left-wing fans want
Cap to be standing out on and giving speeches on the streetcorner
against the Bush administration, and all the really right-wing [fans]
all want him to be over in the streets of Baghdad, punching out
Saddam," Brubaker said.
> Comic book deaths, however, are rarely final. Marvel's archrival,
DC Comics, provoked a media frenzy when it killed off Superman in
1993, only to reanimate its prize creation a year later.
> Joe Quesada, 43, Marvel Entertainment's editor in chief, said he
wouldn't rule out the shield-throwing champion's eventual return. But
for now, the Captain's fans are in mourning.
> "I was shocked. I was not expecting it," said Gerry Gladston, co-
owner of Midtown Comics in Manhattan. "I'd rather they didn't kill
him - but it's going to mean great sales."
> 'LIFE' OF AN AMERICAN HERO
> Created: March 1941
> True Identity: Steve Rogers
> Born: July 4, 1917
> Birthplace: Lower East Side
> Current Home: Red Hook, Brooklyn
> Superpowers: None (Super Soldier serum makes him a "nearly perfect
human being")
> Weapon: His red,white and blue discus-like shield
> Archenemy: Red Skull
> Pop Culture Moment, Film: Easy Rider, Peter Fonda's character is
nicknamed Captain America.
> Pop Culture Moments, Music: The Kinks' song, Catch Me Now, I'm
Falling, has this lyric: "This is Captain America calling." Guns N'
Roses' Paradise City: "Captain America's been torn apart, now he's a
court jester with a broken heart."