The simple answer to this question is that the "hos" referred to in
rap music are general (and of tenuous, if dubious merit) and the
insult hurled at the Rutgers basketball team is specific and totally
without merit.  To expand, the use of "ho" in rap music may even have
context (see Prince's "Darling Nikki"). Imus' insult had no context
whatsoever.  Further, the co-mingling of offensive rap lyrics and
Imus' comments is ingenuous and truly the last refuge of this
scoundrel.

I submit that Imus may have been safe if he had stopped at "tatted
up" and "nappy-headed."  Calling this accomplished women "hos" is
where he crossed the line.

I am curious if any of you can refer me to a rap lyric to me that
similarly and specifically trashes black women of character and
accomplishment.

I ask because while I enjoy rap music, I never listen to the lyrics,
I only listen to the beats (I don't listen to the lyrics of any
music - imagine my surprise as I was watching "Walk the Line" when
Joachim Phoenix articulated that famous Johnny Cash line from "Folsom
Prison Blues": "I shot a man...just to watch him die."  Lord, a
mercy!  I'm a scared of hillbillies, now!  Somebody got do something
bout that anti-social country music!).

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "votomguy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> While it'll probably be hard for Imus to get work again, a very
> important issue within our community has to be answered. Why is
> it "ok" for us to call our women hos, but if someone outside our
race
> does it we're suddenly up in arms.  The saddest thing to me about
the
> whole Imus thing is the la attitude that blacks are taking towards
> our own who refer to women as hos. This whole thing that "it's ok
for
> me to talk about my momma, but you can't talk about my momma."
Imus
> should be held accountable, but the double standard in our
community
> has to go. We can't say zero tolerance and then turn around and
have
> special exceptions.
>
> It's also sad to say, but how much attention do we really pay to
NCAA
> [...]
> > demeaning remarks about the mostly black Rutgers women’s
> basketball team.
> >
> > “He’s crossed the line, he’s violated our community,”
> Gordon said in a
> > telephone interview with the Associated Press. “He needs to
face
> the
> > consequence of that violation.”
> >
> > Gordon, a longtime telecommunications executive, stepped down in
> March
> > after 19 months as head of the National Association for the
> Advancement
> > of Colored People, one of the foremost U.S. civil rights
> organizations.
> >
> > He said he had spoken with CBS chief executive Leslie Moonves and
> hoped
> > the company, after reviewing the situation, would “make the
smart
> > decision” by firing Imus rather than letting him return to the
> air at
> > the end of a two-week suspension that was announced Tuesday.
> >
> > “We should have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to what I
> see as
> > irresponsible, racist behavior,” Gordon said. “The Imus
> comments go
> > beyond humor. Maybe he thought it was funny, but that’s not
what
> > occurred. There has to be a consequence for that behavior.”
> >
> > Gordon said that as a matter of principle, firing Imus should be
an
> easy
> > decision to make, though he respects the right of CBS leadership
> > consider all factors.
> >
> > “When I look at it from my position as a director, where my
> > responsibility is to represent the best interest of the
> shareholders,
> > it’s more complex,” Gordon said. “But at the end of the
day,
> the image
> > of CBS is at risk. ... the ad revenue of CBS could be at risk.”
> >
> > “What I expect is for management to take the next two weeks to
do
> their
> > homework,” he said. “I hope that the result of their due
> diligence is to
> > terminate Don Imus.”
> >
> > Imus triggered the uproar on his April 4 show, when he referred
> the
> > Rutgers players as “nappy-headed hos.” His comments have been
> widely
> > denounced by civil rights and women’s groups, and two sponsors,
> Staples
> > Inc. and Procter & Gamble Co., have pulled their advertising from
> the
> > radio show.
> >
> > P&G spokesman Terry Loftus said the company pulled ads from the
> show as
> > of last Friday. Another sponsor, Bigelow Tea, said in a statement
> posted
> > on its Web site that the remarks have “put our future
sponsorship
> in
> > jeopardy.”
> >
> > Calls for the radio host’s dismissal have been growing,
including
> from
> > groups such as the National Organization for Women and the
National
> > Association of Black Journalists.
> >
> > The 10 members of the Rutgers team spoke publicly for the first
> time
> > Tuesday about the on-air comments, made the day after the team
lost
> the
> > NCAA championship game to Tennessee.
> >
> > Some of them wiped away tears as their coach, C. Vivian Stringer,
> > criticized Imus for “racist and sexist remarks that are
> deplorable,
> > despicable, abominable and unconscionable.” The women, eight of
> whom are
> > black, called his comments insensitive and hurtful.
> >
> > “It kind of scars us. We grew up in a world where racism
exists,
> and
> > there’s nothing we can do to change that,” said Matee Ajavon,
> junior
> > guard. “I think that this has scarred me for life.”
> >
> > The women agreed, however, to meet with Imus privately next
Tuesday
> and
> > hear his explanation. They held back from saying whether they’d
> accept
> > Imus’ apologies or passing judgment on whether a two-week
> suspension
> > imposed by CBS Radio and MSNBC was sufficient.
> >
> > Several players said they wanted to ask him why he would make
such
> > thoughtless statements.
> >
> > Junior forward Essence Carson said she had done some research on
> Imus
> > and his past inflammatory and derogatory statements about other
> people.
> >
> > “Just knowing that this has happened time and time before, I
felt
> that
> > it might be time to make a stand,” she said Wednesday on
NBC’s
> “Today” show.
> >
> > “He doesn’t know who we are as people,” Carson said.
> “That’s why we are
> > just so appalled with his insensitive remarks, not only about
> > African-American women, but about women as a whole.”
> >
> > In Washington, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino was asked if
the
> > president thought Imus’ punishment was strong enough, but said
it
> was up
> > to Imus’s employer to decide any further action.
> >
> > “The president believed that the apology was the absolute right
> thing to
> > do,” Perino said Tuesday.
> >
> > Imus has apologized repeatedly for his comments. He said Tuesday
he
> > hadn’t been thinking when making a joke that went “way too
> far.” He also
> > said that those who called for his firing without knowing him,
his
> > philanthropic work or what his show was about would be making an
> > “ill-informed” choice.
> >
> > MSNBC has said it will watch to see whether Imus changes the
tenor
> of
> > future programs.
> >
> > The radio show originates from WFAN-AM in New York City and is
> > syndicated nationally by Westwood One, both of which are managed
by
> CBS
> > Corp. (MSNBC, which simulcasts the show on cable, is a part of
NBC
> > Universal, which is owned by General Electric Co.)
> >
> > Associated Press writer Rebecca Santana in Piscataway, N.J.,
> contributed
> > to this report
> > http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
> AID=/20070411/ENT03/70411004/0/NEWS03
> >
> > Sponsors Abandon Imus as Rutgers Gals Await Face-off
> >
> > Big-ticket advertisers such as Procter & Gamble and Staples have
> pulled
> > their green from Don Imus' morning program in the wake of a
racist
> > comment the broadcaster made about the Rutgers women's basketball
> team.
> > Bigelow Tea has similarly suspended its advertising, and may yank
> it all
> > together, but GM and AMEX are standing pat (though the latter
> intends to
> > "monitor" the show going forward, says the New York Daily News).
> >
> > The Rutgers players, meanwhile, expressed their feelings to the
> press on
> > Tuesday, saying Imus has "stolen a moment of pure grace" from the
> NCAA
> > finalists. With an eye to their to-be-scheduled face-to-face with
> Imus,
> > one player said she wants to ask him, "'Now that you've met me,
am
> I a
> > ho?' Unless they've given 'ho' a new definition, that's not what
> am.
> > http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-
Blog/Todays-
> News/Sponsors-Abandon-Imus/800012560
> >

> > "There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels
> will get organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt
Vonnegut, "A