http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20144919_2,00.html

Tyler Perry: Hollywood Outsider

The ''Why Did I Get Married?'' writer-director-star doesn't look for
your approval, but he deserves your respect

Atlanta's Buford Highway is littered with Laundromats, greasy fast-
food joints, and the occasional strip club. It's along this stretch
of road that a homeless Tyler Perry slept in his Geo Metro for three
months. Fifteen years later, and just 10 miles away, the 38-year-old
multimillionaire is now lounging comfortably in his plush 70,000-
square-foot production facility, built on the success of films he's
written, directed, and/or starred in, such as Diary of a Mad Black
Woman and Madea's Family Reunion. Clad in a pink button-down with
gold cuff links, Perry looks perfectly attired for the junket
interviews he's been handling today — until he kicks his feet up on
the desk, revealing track pants and mandals. It's simply further
proof that Perry hasn't let his enviable success go to his
head. ''For my birthday, I went back to all those places [on Buford]
and just drove by,'' Perry says. ''The neighborhood is pretty rough.
It just reminded me of how grateful I am.''

Perry has much to be grateful for, too. After surviving an abusive
childhood and years of struggling as a traveling playwright, the New
Orleans native has become an icon to his devoted niche audience. It's
these fans, mostly African-American women, who religiously show up
for Perry's unique mix of broad comedy, social commentary, and
Christian values. ''I don't want to just do entertainment to do
entertainment,'' he says. ''I've never chased money. It's always been
about what I can do to motivate and inspire people.'' As with his
idol and friend, Oprah Winfrey, simply attaching Perry's name to a
project equals blockbuster success. His first film, Diary, made back
its budget almost 10 times over. His book, Don't Make a Black Woman
Take Off Her Earrings (written in the voice of his most famous
character, the sass-talkin', gun-totin' Madea), was an instant best-
seller. His TBS comedy series, House of Payne, debuted to record
numbers. And the workaholic Perry is only warming up: ''I want to own
a network,'' he says of his five-year plan. ''I want to own a network
where you can turn it on with your family all day long and get
positive reinforcement.'' (As a first step, he'll be launching a talk
show on his website this fall.)

For now, Perry is busy promoting his latest opus, the romantic
dramedy out next week, Why Did I Get Married?, about college friends
reuniting for a getaway week in the woods. ''I wrote this movie after
a really bad relationship,'' Perry explains. ''I thought I wanted to
get married, but that relationship changed my idea. But who knows?
The right situation, absolutely.'' Like much of Perry's work, Married
begins as a riotous comedy, but midway through reveals an intensely
serious side, which Perry says is anchored in reality. ''That's
life,'' he says. ''I don't write in a formula.'' He also doesn't
usually deal with big stars, either, preferring to cast himself and
under-the-radar African-American actors — and then Janet Jackson
signed on for Married. ''I did not want to work with Janet,'' Perry
now admits. ''I don't do divas. I don't do entourages. I don't do the
Hollywood crap.'' But when Jackson showed up on set sans handlers,
Perry was won over. ''She dispelled every myth I had about
megasuperstars. It was a lovefest.'' Jackson, who hadn't acted on
screen in seven years, agrees. ''Of all the films I've done, this was
the best time I've ever had,'' she says.
So with all this success, Hollywood must be nipping at Perry's mandal-
clad heels, right? Wrong. He says he has yet to be offered anything
substantial. ''Nobody is offering me The Departed, which I absolutely
feel like I could do. I look at Anthony Anderson in the movie — I
could have done that. I look at Ving Rhames in Mission: Impossible. I
could do that,'' Perry pauses, ''if they offered it!'' The fact is
that Perry is ignored and underestimated by Hollywood, a town
historically run by white men — not exactly his core audience. Perry
recalls a recent visit to L.A. in which his agent pleaded with him to
take meetings: ''The guy who runs the studio goes, 'So who are you
now and what do you do?' I just looked at my agent.''

All the more discouraging is that Perry has a clear vision for
mainstream box office success. ''I have this enormous following of
African-American people, and you put me with an Adam Sandler in
something hilarious...I've thought about it.'' While Sandler's camp
had no comment, Jackson feels that a pairing of this kind is all but
imminent. ''I think this movie is going to change a lot of minds for
those who have an eyebrow raised,'' says Jackson. ''It's just a
matter of [Hollywood] coming around. He's already there.''

But even if Married doesn't get Hollywood's attention, Perry will
have another chance with the comedy Meet the Browns (starring Angela
Bassett), due in February. And if that doesn't work, there's the
dream project waiting in the wings or, more specifically, on his
wall. Perry points to a framed script hanging in the corner of his
office. ''This movie is called Bethesda House, and at the bottom it
says 'The Oprah Project.' I wrote it six years ago. It's about a
woman who turns her home into a place for women in trouble. That's
the only movie I refuse to do until we do it together. She knows it's
there. One day she's going to come and I'm going to break that
glass.''
The Black Prince.  The Black Church.  A State of Mind.
http://www.theworldebon.com