in the can already.

From: "Brent Wodehouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2007/11/strike-its-a-re.html

Strike could be a reality by Monday - so expect more reality TV

Nov 2, 2007

by Lynette Rice

A month ago, when Hollywood was in full hand-wringing mode over the
potential of a writer's strike, a William Morris agent confidently
declared that such a decision "would defy logic." No reasonable
professional would dare to strike in the midst of a television season,
right?

Wrong.

Less than 12 hours after their contract expired at midnight on Oct. 31,
some 2,000-plus writers assembled in the Los Angeles Convention Center to
hear union leaders declare that a strike will occur; the only question now
is when. Many believe the picket lines could begin forming as early as
this afternoon (at least, that's what some New York-based scribes were led
to believe based on an earlier meeting), but the common wisdom is that the
Writers Guild of America will inform writers to start waving the placards
Monday morning, unless, of course, an 11th-hour deal is hammered out over
the weekend. The goal now is to recruit some of the guild's more
recognizable faces to walk the picket line, though it seems unlikely the
WGA will drag Conan O'Brien out in front of 30 Rock in New York. They
might, however, be able to convince 30 Rock creator Tina Fey to wave a
sign or two.

As dense as some of the negotiation-speak may seem (what's all this talk
about credit and separate rights, anyway?) the writers' complaints are
pretty simple: every time you catch an episode of Desperate Housewives on
ABC.com, creator/writer Marc Cherry (or his fellow DH scribe, who may have
written that particular epsiode) doesn't get paid for it. Every time a
series writer generates new content for his show's official Web page, he
doesn't get paid for it. The writers also want a bigger piece of DVD
profits (6 percent, up from 3 percent), so if you decide to, say, buy
season one of Heroes on DVD, the scribes would get more money in their
residual checks. That's what this dispute is about, give or take a few
disagreements over credit and pensions and such.

So what does it mean for viewers if the strike begins Monday? Late night
shows could immediately go into reruns, if David Letterman and Jay Leno
decide not to write their own shows (though Letterman and Johnny Carson
did this back in 1988). Cable yakkers like The Daily Show and The Colbert
Report could also shut down. SNL may be forced to go black, airing repeats
instead.

As for series television, most shows have about six-to-eight weeks worth
of episodes written and in the can waiting to be shot, which will carry
the networks through January, maybe early February. Writers who also hold
the title of producer can continue to come to the set, they just can't do
any kind of writing. For instance, if Jason Lee's joke falls flat during
the taping of My Name is Earl, creator Greg Garcia would have to just let
it go. The only sticking point that may interrupt ongoing production is if
the Teamsters (i.e., the folks who drive all those production trucks) live
up to their promise to not cross the picket line, which would force shows
to simply go dark. If that's the case, expect even more new reality shows
to debut in the next few months. "We'll be ready," says one Big Four
network executive. "This is what we get paid to do. We've anticipated this
for months, though honestly I thought they'd resolve it. How stupid can
they be?"

As for the impact in daytime, soaps generally have about four weeks worth
of episodes in the can. Once the nets burn though those originals, expect
compilations of classic episodes (Victor and Nikki's first wedding! Luke
and Laura reconcile - for the second time!) News programs, as well as
syndicated shows like The Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy, will not be
affected. As for cable series, most shows, like The Shield and Nip/Tuck,
were shot months in advance so there will be no impact - unless the strike
is a long one.

"It's emotion transcending logic," opines another network executive.
"Obviously, they're thinking they need to strike. But this isn't like the
striking garment workers. We work alongside these people every day. A lot
of us are friends. We golf together. It's so weird."