My wife and I came across a movie that I cannot believe I didn't see in
school. I've never seen this before. It would have completely turned up my
passion for science fiction filmmaking had I seen this in college. I  have
just seen a film made in 1946 that could have very well have been made the
other day. It  is called "A Matter of Life And Death", which is sometimes
referred to  as "Stairway To Heaven", and it is one of the most ambitious
science fiction pictures I've seen in a long time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038733/

So it's "the war". There's a squadron leader, an English dude, played by
David Niven. His plane's going down. His crew is dead. He has no parachute
but doesn't want to burn up when the plane hits. So he jumps. Before he
jumps,  he gets on the radio and tells whoever answers of his situation and
his plan.  It's an American woman stationed near the island he's going down
near. This is important,  but later.

He jumps. The plane crashes...and the dude lives. In 2007, this would be the
end of the movie. But dig it. Cut to: HEAVEN. His squad is in the afterlife
and they are all waiting on him, because according to the book of
life...he's supposed to have died in the crash. So they messed up, and he's
still alive. They have to go get him to balance out the books. There's one
problem. Not only has the dude survived, but he ends up on the same island
as the American woman. They fall in love. The American woman's hair does not
move for 2 hours. I mean, her hair should be in the credits. Outside,
inside, 100% humidity...it's all good!

Anyway, There are some really trippy scenes and some "this is a science
fiction movie" clichés that I won't ruin for you, but I have to tell you the
good part. There is a TRIAL. Because, you see had he died, as scheduled,  he
would not have fallen in love with ol' girl, and so now that he has,  he
feels that he has a case...against the Afterlife.

This movie was a lot of fun to watch. I love Turner Classic Movies channel
because there are no commercials and every now and again they pull some real
gems out to show. This was one. You can get this movie on VHS and DVD at
Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001GV0JI/ref=pd_cp_d_0/103-4719542-527502
1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=0H3GRG8XRCH7AZMB2VFY&pf_rd
_t=201&pf_rd_p=316286001&pf_rd_i=B0001LJCQG

Many of you HAVE to have seen this movie already, but if you're like me,
and this is news, do yourself a favor and track it down. It is the perfect
date movie if you married to someone who is so-so about sci-fi but digs an
old romance movie.