Is Eragon a good movie?  In a word: no.  It is somewhat of a
narrative mess, a mishmash of practically every
dragonrider/sword&sorcery epic ever written.  All of this has been
done before (and better) and the putative hero is pretty much a zero
in his blond blandness.  Every five minutes someone comments on the
implausibility of the dragon's egg chosing him as her rider (don't
ask) and, as protrayed by this actor, Eragon never rises to the
occasion.  Yet, there is epic scene chewing by John Malkovich and
Jeremy Irons.  The battle scenes are rousing, if a bit chaotic and
confusing.  The dragon blows things up real good.  I am going to
procure a DVD quality bootleg of the movie this week.  Like "Aeon
Flux," there are visuals that I would play again with the sound off -
a screensaver with a plot, if you will.

~rave!