[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject:  Small asteroids pose big new threat

URL to an interesting article from MSNBC
_http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22328494/_
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22328494/)

The rock that caused the Tunguska explosion may have been much smaller that
originally believed.  But, if the calculations are accurate, we may have a
greater chance of being struck by a smaller asteroid because there are more
of
them.

First few paragraphs

Supercomputer provides new clues about infamous Tunguska explosion

A  supercomputer simulation of a fireball that might be expected from an
asteroid exploding in Earth's atmosphere, as pointed out by Sandia  National
Laboratories researcher Mark Boslough.

 (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22328509/displaymode/1176/rstry/22328494/)
_View  related photos_
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22328509/displaymode/1176/rstry/22328494/)
Randy Montoya

_
Space.com

By Charles Q. Choi

updated 12:50 p.m.  CT, Wed., Dec. 19, 2007

The infamous Tunguska explosion,  which mysteriously leveled an area of
Siberian forest nearly the size of Tokyo a  century ago, might have been
caused by
an impacting asteroid far smaller than  previously thought.
The fact that a relatively small  asteroid could still cause such a massive
explosion_
(http://www.space.com/php/video/player.php?video_id=071218-tunguska)
 suggests "we should be making more efforts  at detecting the smaller ones
than we have till now," said researcher Mark  Boslough, a physicist at
Sandia
National Laboratory in Albuquerque, N.M.
The explosion near the  Podkamennaya Tunguska River on June 30, 1908,
flattened some 500,000 acres  (2,000 square kilometers) of Siberian forest.
Scientists calculated the Tunguska  explosion could have been roughly as
strong as 10
to 20 megatons of TNT — 1,000  times more powerful than the atom bomb
dropped
on Hiroshima.

_Story continues  below ↓_
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22328494/#storyContinued)  advertisement

Wild theories have been bandied  about for a century regarding what caused
the _Tunguska explosion_
(http://www.livescience.com/space/scienceastronomy/070626_st_tunguska_crater.html)

, including a _UFO_
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22328494/#)  crash, antimatter, a black hole
and famed inventor  Nikola Tesla's
"death ray." In the last decade, researchers have conjectured the  event was
triggered by an asteroid exploding in Earth's atmosphere that was  roughly
100
feet wide (30 meters) and 560,000 metric tons in mass — more than 10  times
that of the Titanic.
The space rock is thought to have  blown up above the surface, only
fragments
possibly striking the ground.
Now new supercomputer simulations  suggest "the asteroid that caused the
_extensive damage_ (http://www.space.com/php/video/player.php?video_id=07121
8-Tunguska2)  was much smaller than we had thought,"  Boslough said.
Specifically,
he and his colleagues say it would have been a  factor of three or four
smaller
in mass and perhaps 65 feet (20 meters) in  diameter."

Chris

('entropy sucks')