Well, I guess we're just going to have to get used to this happening more
frequently. After all, we don't have the Weekly World News around anymore to
tell us who the aliens are endorsing for the White House...

"Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  UFO
debate invades politicians' space
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071221/od_nm/ufo_dc_1&printer=1;_ylt=AvPPBF59fmP2Kidwc0BOkuUZ.3QA
Fri Dec 21, 10:19 AM ET

A debate over flying saucers has kept Japanese politicians occupied for
much of this week, ensnaring top officials and drawing a promise from
the defense minister to send out the army if Godzilla goes on a rampage.

"There are debates over what makes UFOs fly, but it would be difficult
to say it's an encroachment of air space," Defense Minister Shigeru
Ishiba told a news conference Thursday.

"If Godzilla were to show up, it would be a dispatch for disaster relief."

His remarks came after the top government spokesman was asked Tuesday
about an opposition politician's demand that the government confirm the
existence of unidentified flying objects.

"Personally, I definitely believe they exist," chief cabinet secretary
Nobutaka Machimura said, drawing laughter from reporters.

Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda took a more guarded stance later in the day,
saying he has yet to confirm their existence.

The debate started Tuesday when the cabinet issued a statement in
response to the opposition lawmaker's question, saying it could not
confirm any cases of UFO sightings.

Not all lawmakers are enthralled.

"Give me a break," ruling party lawmaker Toshihiro Nikai was quoted as
saying by the Yomiuri newspaper. "There are many (other) things politics
has to respond to."

(Reporting by Yoko Kubota and George Nishiyama; Editing by Mike Miller)

Yahoo! Groups Links

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"