You are dead on with you analysis.  The Broderick /camera crew aspect
was weak and needed to be tweaked or reduced and Jean Reno... as Gymfig
would say, he has "IT"  I'm a big fan.  His character should have been
broadened. I realize that would never happen because this was an
American Blockbuster and that would be breaking on of their cardinal
rules.   I liked this better than the old sixties Godzillas as well.
Despite the fact that I complain about Abrams, I think he and the team
he assembled could pull it off.  However, if he succeeds, be
forewarned.  We will be bombarded with bad copies left and right