Thinking back on Rennie's performance in the original, I'd say that Reeves is
almost note-perfect for it. Cool, emotionless, detached. And I wouldn't say not
to Gort wiping a few burghs off the map, either.

tetsuwanatom1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               --- In
scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 More importantly, why the need to SPECIFY it's a stepson?

 NFN, I saw the original again a few nights ago. Rennie's
 constant, "Oh you silly humans" mugging is quaint. I wonder what
 Reeves can do with the role.

 Also, I hope Gort is bad ass.

 > true, but why add a black child nd then give us anothe absent
 father? it's time to make a statement! :)

 > From: Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 >
 > Well, have you seen the original? There IS no sign of the father.
 His mom
 > is dating some dude. They live in a boarding house, where Klaatu
 also has a
 > room.
 >
 > On 1/15/08 12:03 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 > wrote:
 >

 > > okay, so the Black kid has a white stepmom. Dare i hope her Black
 husband is
 > > going to be *alive* in the film and survive to the end of the
 movie?

 > > From: Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > > <mailto:yokozuna%40globalsoulmedia.com> >
 > >
 > > source: Hollywood Reporter
 > >
 > > Smith down to 'Earth' for sci-fi re-do
 > >
 > > By Leslie Simmons
 > >
 > > Jan 15, 2008
 > > Jaden Smith has landed a part in Fox's sci-fi thriller "The Day
 the Earth
 > > Stood Still."
 > >
 > > Smith will play the rebellious Jacob, the 8-year-old stepson of
 scientist
 > > Helen Benson (Jennifer Connelly) who first makes contact with the
 humanoid
 > > alien Klaatu (Keanu Reeves). Kathy Bates and Golden Globe winner
 Jon Hamm
 > > also star.
 > >
 > > Scott Derrickson is directing the contemporary reinvention of the
 1951 Fox
 > > classic being produced by Erwin Stoff, Gregory Goodman and Paul
 Boardman. It
 > > is filming in Vancouver.
 > >
 > > David Scarpa penned the screenplay about Klaatu's arrival on
 Earth that
 > > triggers a global upheaval as governments and scientists race to
 unravel the
 > > mystery behind his appearance.
 > >
 > > Smith's Jacob and stepmother Helen get caught up in Klaatu's
 mission,
 > > coming to understand the ramifications of his being a self-
 described "friend
 > > to the Earth."
 > >
 > > The 9-year-old is the son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith. He
 > > co-starred in 2006 with his father in "The Pursuit of Happyness,"
 for which
 > > he won a Teen Choice Award and an MTV Movie Award.
 > >
 > > Smith is repped by WMA's Nicole David and Overbrook Management's
 James
 > > Lassiter and Miguel Melendez.

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"