If I were the Truly Evil Person I sometimes claim I am, I would, on the day I
cease being a Comcrap customer, I would make my last payment with a little
extra in the envelope. I'll let you good people draw the picture...

Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 [source: MediaPost TV Board]

 Too Much Information -- Or Is Obfuscation The Preferred Policy?
 by Mitch Oscar, Tuesday, January 15, 2008

 I'm a Comcast customer. Recently, included in my monthly billing statement
 was an "IMPORTANT Information" alert about Service, Installation & Equipment
 Prices for myself and my neighbors:

 Level of Service

 Current Price

 Basic (3,5)
 $15.95

 New Price February 1, 2008
 $17.95

 Expanded Basic Service

 $36.04

 $36.54

 Standard Cable (2,3)

 $51.99

 $54.49

 Digital Starter (4)

 $55.98

 $58.48

 1) The minimum level of cable service you may purchase is BASIC SERVICE. As
 a cable customer, you must purchase BASIC SERVICE to subscribe to any other
 video service offered by Comcast Service, programming and equipment are
 subject to availability. All pricing, programming channel locations are
 subject to change. Please call 1-866-660-6137 for further information. The
 purchase of premium channels, packages and a la carte services including iN
 DEMAND, Pay-Per-View and Channel 1 On Demand) requires the appropriate
 equipment (c)2008 Comcast. All Rights Reserved.

 2) The price for Standard Cable includes Basic Service and Expanded Basic
 Service.

 3) A cable box/converter may not be necessary to view Basic Service or
 Standard Cable. Please visit www.comcast.com/cablebox or call 1-866-660-6137
 for further information.

 4) Digital Starter includes Standard Cable, a discounted Digital Cable Box,
 a remote control, Interactive Program Guide, MusicChoice and limited Channel
 1 On Demand content. To upgrade to a discounted high definition cable box
 and remote control, an additional $6 equipment fee is required.

 5) Discount available to subscribers who are age 65+ and not more than 1
 person under age 65 in household. Customers must complete and submit
 application to Comcast Cable at 21 Old Route 6, Carmel, New York 10512.
 Restrictions apply.

 I'm fine with all this information, although I must admit that the fine
 print didn't really help clarify exactly what I was getting for my dough.
 Being the curious type of guy that I am, with trepidation I turned to the
 pricing choices, each with its own arcane definition. Take a look for
 yourself (left and right, at two out of the three pages. Perhaps this
 printed exercise was meant to satiate the government as well as obfuscate
 instead of clarify. Beats me. Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy my Comcast
 service (though I wish my HD/DVR wouldn't freeze up so often and the set top
 box would be cooler than a hot griddle). However, there must be an easier,
 more inviting way to communicate viewing and service options to consumers.

 Then again, I should be thankful that the Comcast services pricing litany
 was at least in decipherable English. You should see my family plan monthly
 wireless billing statement...

 Mitch Oscar is executive vice president, director of CaratDigital, Carat
 North America.

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"