think it was SciFi, I'm sure it wasn't PBS

From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Keith, I want to say that either PBS or Skiffy aired it.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: the "Ultraviolet" we're discussing came on TV several
years ago (can't remember which US channel aired it). It's a British series
about a government organization that is trying to stop the vamps. It treats the
vampyrs more as a separate species. The vamps even claim that they want to live
in peace and that they're trying to find alternative food sources so that they
don't have to feed on humans. They try to position themselves as a persecuted
minority group.
It's a great series, very British in being more intelligent and slower-paced
than what America would give you. It has some great moments in it, especially
one where a Black member of the government agency (played by Idras Elba) is
locked in a hangar with the vamps just as the sun is setting. Powerful scene,
as he calls another agent for whom he has feelings as the creatures are about
to stir, to say a type of goodbye. Highly recommend renting it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A590843

Now, if you were thinking about the "Ultraviolet" movie from B-movie queen Mila
Jovovich, heck no, no miniseries made based on that dreck!

From: Astromancer
There was an Ultraviolet miniseries???

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Never seen "Red Dwarf"--I know, I know! But I hear
you. I still shudder at the memory of when the great miniseries "Ultraviolet"
was going to be given an American treatment.

From: Martin
Keith, re that "Red Dwarf" knockoff- yes, was, it aired, and thank your lucky
stars that you missed it. I didn't. Bad does not *begin* to get around the
concept. IMO, like all British shows that American networks try to pick up,
they couldn't grasp the collective essence of the show initially, then made the
more egregious sin of Americanizing it.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: According to one source--Wikipedia--it was contract
disputes. She asked for more money and they dumped her. I get why she wanted to
leave DS9 after six years, but I never thought Becker was quite the right
vehicle for her. Too bad something like "Desperate Housewives" wasn't around at
the time.

Hey, the Wiki I read revealed too interesting things. One, Farrell auditioned
for a US version of the Brit scifi series "Red Dwarf". I never knew there was
an attempt to create a US version of that show.

The other thing is that in 2001, a dude named William Kwong Yu Yeung discovered
a new asteroid, and named it 26734 Terryfarrell in her honour. Talk about a fan!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Farrell_%28actress%29

From: "Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)"

> I agree about the time provided for the viewer to get over her - one
> season. Its not that I did not like Ezri, I did. I liked the episode
> with Worf and how thy tried to develop the character as well. However, I
> still think, with only a season left to grieve and adapt to the new
> character, by the time you got over the death and used to the new
> character, the entire series was over. I guess I just always wanted to
> be Jadzia when I grew up. Sigh... By the way, they ended up dumping
> her from Becker and her career has never been the same. Does anyone
> know what that was about?
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > i think the main problem was that she was only on the show for a year, and
> > we
> all knew the series was ending. There was no time for the character to really
> get established and integrated into the show. I liked her though, because her
> character demonstrated that in war, sh** happens, and you don't have a choice
> sometimes as to what you do. Jadzia dies, the symbiote needs a new host,
> she's
> in the area. I think i was more okay with it than a lot of y'all because i
> took
> it for that: an emergency over which no one had control. Remember that Ezri
> never even wanted to host one of the big slugs. She was also very young,
> nervous about a new posting ,and full of the standard concerns anyone in her
> position would have. Again, not having trained as a candidate for a joining,
> she
> wasn't walking around with all the arrogance, confidence, and talent that
> people
> like Jadzia possessed in order to quality as a host.
> >
> > So i was able to view her awkwardness, insecurity, uncertainty, and
> > difficulty
> along those lines. I was then able to cut her some slack. As you may
> remember, I
> was all but in love with Jadzia: she was feisty, funny, smart, tough, pretty,
> sexy, statuesque. Truly an attractive woman. Ezri was slight in build,
> girlish
> looking, self-effacing, unsure. She was so different from Jadzia I was able
> say "at least they didn't try to get a Jadzia clone", then relax and let her
> character try to establish itself. I also enjoyed a few things they did with
> her, such as all the confusion with Worf as they sorted their feelings out
> for
> each other. When they made love that one time, and Ezri later said "it wasn't
> even that good" (or something like that) I started liking her. It seemed that
> at
> that point she started finding her confidence, both as a joined being, and
> simply as a young woman learning to assert herself. She could never replace
> my
> Jadzia, but I quit trying to make her do so. At that
> > point i really started liking Ezri.

> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: