Thanks for the heads up!  I have been aware of "Killer of Sheep" for
years, but have never seen it.  I set my DVR before I typed this.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I think someone already posted something about "Killer of Sheep",
but I can't find the post. Apologies for the duplication if so...

> Turner Classic Movies is one of the few cable channels that
consistently lives up to its promise. Every year they do a slate of
films dedicated to Black History Month, King Day, and the Oscars, with
their "31 Days of Oscars" program.  TCM has aired many of the
so-called "race" films: black films from back in the '30s and '40s
featuring all Black casts.

> Tonight, TCM is dedicating a block of time to African-American
director Charles Burnett, starting with his now-famous indie film,
"Killer of Sheep".  For those of you who may not know of Burnett by
name, perhaps you've seen two of his better-seen works, "The Glass
Shield", and the great "To Sleep with Anger", starring Danny Glover.
If you haven't seen those films, I highly suggest you look them up,
especially "To Sleep with Anger".  And try to check out the TCM block
dedicated to Burnett tonight. We often talk even today of the lack of
balanced, respectful film treatments of the Black life in Hollywood.
Burnett is one of the directors who's done that, but not being Spike
Lee or Denzel Washington, he's never enjoyed the wide respect he deserves.

> Info on the special tonight. And while you're at it, if you have TCM
on cable, spend some time there, especially during this time of year.
Really good stuff worth checking out.

> **************************************
> http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article.jsp?cid=184975&mainArticleId=184971
>
> Charles Burnett has made fewer than two dozen films since his
directorial debut in 1969. That's a lot less than he's wanted, but it
reflects the extra hurdles faced by African-American filmmakers in a
white-dominated industry, especially when they're committed to
authentic portrayals of three-dimensional black characters. It also
reflects the independent spirit that keeps Burnett marching to his own
drummer instead of kowtowing to Hollywood formulas. Unlike directors
who see indie productions as passports to mainstream fame and fortune,
he never strays for long from the subject that interests him most:
life as it's really lived in everyday families, neighborhoods, and
workplaces.

> Challenges notwithstanding, Burnett has completed a number of
unusually fine films. They include the 1990 family drama To Sleep with
Anger, with Danny Glover as a shady character who barges into a
family's quiet life; the 1994 drama The Glass Shield, about race and
gender tensions in a Los Angeles police station; and the 1996
television movie Nightjohn, about a slave who breaks the law by
teaching another slave how to read. Yet his most celebrated movie, the
1977 masterpiece Killer of Sheep, was extremely hard to see for many
years, since licensing hassles over some of the soundtrack music drove
it out of the marketplace soon after its premiere. Critics kept
writing about it, keeping its reputation alive, and the Library of
Congress placed it on the National Film Registry of historically
important movies. Finally it was restored to mint condition by the
Film & Television Archive at UCLA, where Burnett went to film school
in the 1960s, and Milestone Films waged a six-year battle to
> clear those pesky music rights. The movie reached theaters in 2007,
three decades after it was made, in exactly the form Burnett intended,
except for a single tune on the soundtrack. And the reviews were
rapturous.

> Killer of Sheep has little in the way of a conventional plot, but
much in the way of richly drawn characters and deeply atmospheric
mood. Set in the Watts section of Los Angeles, it centers on Stan, the
father of an inner-city family. Every day he goes to work in the
slaughterhouse where he's employed, slogging through a depressing
daily routine that's as psychologically deadly for him as it is
physically deadly for the animals killed there. The rest of the time
he tries to live with as much dignity as chronic poverty and
exhaustion will allow, playing dominoes, fiddling with a car engine,
passing the hours with his equally worn-out wife, playing with their
little boy and girl. Nothing happens and everything happens. We're
watching people whose personalities and experiences Burnett knows down
to his bones, chronicled with a sense of unembellished truthfulness
rarely found in American movies.

> The presence of such authentic reality doesn't mean Killer of Sheep
is a cinéma-vérité documentary in disguise. Burnett began it by
writing a screenplay and preparing storyboards that guided his work
throughout the production. Then he photographed the action with an
unfailing eye for visual poetry; edited it with keen attention to
rhythm, contrast, and emotional flow; and assembled a music track that
counterpoints the imagery like a gracefully attuned player in a jazz
duo. The result is a carefully planned yet uniquely intuitive film
that doesn't so much delineate a story as evoke a time, a place, and a
set of circumstances with poignant, sometimes heartbreaking sensitivity.

> Burnett's decision to make Killer of Sheep was prompted by his
intense dissatisfaction with movies that treat working-class life
simplistically, solving complicated human problems in unrealistic and
unimaginative ways – reuniting the couple, letting the team win,
having the workers join a union – so everyone can bask in a happy
ending. Burnett isn't interested in simple solutions, or even complex
ones, because in his experience most real-life problems aren't
resolved at all; folks just muddle through as best they can, and when
one difficulty fades there's usually another to take its place. "What
people are really struggling for is to endure, to survive," Burnett
once told me, "to become adults and maintain some sort of moral
compass." This led him to design Killer of Sheep as a series of
distinct episodes organized by their themes rather than a conventional
three-act structure. Burnett doesn't claim to have answers for the
social problems he shows, but he's eager to raise the impor
> tant questions for as wide an audience as he can reach.
>
> Burnett made Killer of Sheep in 16mm (the UCLA restoration is in
35mm) on a budget of less than $10,000, most of it from grants he
received. Many critics have compared it with the films of Italian
neorealists like Roberto Rossellini and Vittorio De Sica, whose
stories recorded the harsh realities of postwar Italy during the 1940s
and 1950s. Like them, Burnett wanted to create naturalistic scenes
without losing sight of artistic style. Also like them, he turned to
nonprofessional actors for important roles, choosing people who
actually lived the kind of life depicted in the film. Their remarkably
strong acting is one of the film's most striking assets.

> A key reason why Burnett became a filmmaker in the first place was
his conviction that movies made with enough skill and commitment can
change how people think about the world. He is disgusted at
Hollywood's use of negative African-American stereotypes, which he
blames for creating a dehumanized image of the black community; even
black filmmakers produce racist material at times, he believes,
motivated by money and power instead of responsibility and ethics. His
lifelong project is to reverse this trend, or at least do all he can
to slow it down. Killer of Sheep is a vibrant step in this direction,
even if it did take thirty years to reach the screen.

> Producer: Charles Burnett
> Director: Charles Burnett
> Screenplay: Charles Burnett
> Cinematographer: Charles Burnett
> Film Editing: Charles Burnett
> With: Henry Gayle Sanders (Stan), Kaycee Moore (Stan's wife),
Charles Bracy (Bracy), Angela Burnett (Stan's daughter), Eugene Cherry
(Eugene), Jack Drummond (Stan's son).