Choked up again, Clinton's eyes well up in Conn.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton appeared to fight back tears this morning at
a campaign event in New Haven, USA TODAY's Kathy Kiely reports.

At the Yale Child Study Center where Clinton once worked, she was
introduced by her former boss Penn Rhodeen before a roundtable on the
difficulties faced by working mothers. "You were all in purple," Rhodeen
said of their first meeting, "from your sheepskin coat to your
bell-bottoms. You looked wonderful and so 1972."

Clinton, who today was wearing a yellow and black ensemble, welled up at
Rhodeen's reference to "our magnificent Hillary."

"I said I would not tear up today," Clinton remarked. Kathy writes that
the senator blinked back the evidence with a smile.

The Chicago Tribune's The Swamp blog adds Rhodeen was the first to choke
up, "leading Clinton's eyes to fill with tears, which she wiped out of
her left eye."

The emotional moment, coming the day before the Super Tuesday contests,
brings to mind another primary-eve bit of emotion that Clinton showed on
Jan. 7, the day before the New Hampshire primary she went on to win.
That day, a seemingly tired Clinton talked about the campaign and then
said "it's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I didn't passionately
believe it was the right thing to do. You know, I have so many
opportunities from this country just don't want to see us fall backwards."

Kathy tells us that this morning's moment had a different feel: "She
wasn't sad. Just moved by a nice tribute."
http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2008/02/choked-up-again.html

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: