I'm not.  I think it could go either way.  Purists aways complain when
changes are made to iconic literature or in this case series.  The
thought has crossed my mind as well.  SO, no sticks.  however, I still
have a problems with the decision about the ages of the character.  That
being said, that is what almost all block buster wanna bes do these
days.  So, they are just abiding by conventional wisdom.  I think the
key to enjoying it is not thinking about it as Star Trek.  Whenever, I
decide to watch an adaptation or a remake, I try not to think of it as
such and I tend to enjoy it more.   Also , I have been biased against
Abrams since Mission Impossible 3. He really disappointed me