laughing and groaning my way through it!

From: "brent wodehouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.tvguide.com/news/knight-rider-kitt/080215-01

Preview: Knight Rider Is Back!

by Tom Russo

Knight Rider airs Sunday at 9 pm/ET, NBC.

The realization hit Justin Bruening the moment the Ford Mustang Shelby
GT500KR slammed its own doors. At 28, Bruening was only six when the
original Knight Rider, which made a star of David Hasselhoff, roared off
into TV mythol­ogy. Now, as the former All My Children actor slid into the
Hoff's old seat behind the wheel of the franchise's signature (but
updated) supercar, he felt the moment.

"We have a version of the car that's driven by remote control," says
Bruen­ing. "So someone's sitting a hundred yards away with two little
joysticks, and I get in the car in the middle of a scene, and the doors
slam shut on their own. That was the first moment that I went, 'Oh, crap,
this is real - KITT actually lives.' It's cool that we're upping the ante
that way, but it's a little disconcerting."

The producers hope enough viewers hitch a ride to launch the two-hour NBC
TV-movie into a series. The retooled Rider casts Bruening as Mike Traceur,
an ex-Army Ranger whose old girl­friend, Sarah Graiman (Deanna Russo),
talks him into the driver's seat of the new KITT. Sarah's dad, Charles
(Bruce Davison), is KITT's inventor, and his latest automotive putterings
have drawn attention from nefarious forces. Sydney Tamiia Poitier lends
backup as an FBI agent, and Val Kilmer provides the voice of the Knight
Industries Three Thousand (KITT to friends), replacing William Daniels'
classic snit with contemporary snark.

Even Hasselhoff turns up to reveal some surprising ties between Traceur
and Hoff's old character, Michael Knight. "There are all these great
connections back to the original series," execu­tive producer David Bartis
says. "Our goal is to make everybody who loved the original em­brace this
and bring a younger audience to it as well."

This isn't the first attempt to jump-start the franchise. Hasselhoff, who
drove a customized Trans Am in the original 1982-'86 series, returned in
the 1991 teleflick Knight Rider 2000 with a '57 Chevy. The syndicated Team
Knight Rider came and went in 1997, and five years ago a Hollywood studio
considered a feature-film version. Last year, Hassel­hoff says, "I did a
video called 'Jump in My Car,' about me and KITT pickin' up chicks. It was
downloaded nine million times. The show's fans are relentless."

Transformers fans might have been equally influential: The latest Rider
got the network go-ahead shortly after the battling 'bots movie opened
huge last summer (hence the new KITT's morphing technology).

But the road to contemporary cool can be a bumpy one for a franchise
fondly recalled from a kitschier time. (Just ask Bionic Woman.) There's a
lot of nostalgic baggage in KITT's original trunk that fanboys might find
hard to unload: Dan­iels' persnickety vocals, the goofiness of many of
those old missions, that general '80s Trans-Ammy vibe. "You've got to be
on board with Knight Rider's tone from the get-go," Bartis admits. "But I
think the light-action hour has been missing from television." Traceur's
rela­tionship with Sarah will lend some romance, adds Russo. "A story just
about this guy and his car was good enough for an '80s audience, but it
felt like we needed something more multilayered."

Thrilled as the Hoff is about the revival, even he had an initial
question. "How do you update a show about a talk­ing car when all cars
talk now?" he says. Still, he adds, "The original had such a positive
message: One man can make a difference. The world needs that right now."
Ride on!

Check out Knight Rider clips in our Online Video
Guide[http://video.tvguide.com/shows/Knight+Rider].

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: