I just saw my first episode of Dexter the other night...I believe they hit the
gold mine in the search for original material...I was apalled, mezmerized,
fascinated and creeped out all at once...Can't wait to see it next week...but
my gosh...The writing is great, but the subject matter is a bit unsettling...It
reminds me (don't laugh) of my first time seeing Prince on stage...Something
new, but not exactly sure what tho make of it...

"Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Great review rave! Dexter's conflicts with his adopted sense of
morality is one of the most appealing aspects of the show. Just when I
think he is going to break the code, he finds a way to stick to the
rules his father ingrained in him that were designed to protect him and
the world.

I agree with rave about giving it some more time. I liked the first
episode, but the show did not really start to get me until the last few
minutes of the first episode. Thereafter, the character development and
relationships played a huge part of getting me addicted. It is hard to
get of true sense of all that in just the first episode. All that
being said, if you cannot get you head wrapped around the idea of a
serial killer as the anti-hero, if may not be for you.

ravenadal wrote:
> As someone who wallows in my newfound ability to squander hard earned
> resources on pay cable, after six years of deprivation caused by
> wallet depleting child support payments (God bless the child who's
> grown), I was captivated by "Dexter" from the first episode. For me,
> the voice over is one of the best aspects of the show -
> giving "Dexter" a first-person narration that is suitable to this
> film noirish enterprise. Further, I don't believe it can be
> unequivocably stated that "constant voice-over is not good film
> making." I direct you to "Chinatown," "Bladerunner" and any Humphrey
> Bogart movie.
>
> The premise of serial killer as hero is a hard sell. If you can
> stomach "CSI" in its many permutations, I would encourage you to
> patience and urge you to continue viewing. The first season rewards
> viewership with a pay-off that is rare in network television viewing.
>
> "Dexter" is the rare filmed narrative that pays off in subsequent
> viewing. Season One is an intricate, elaborately constructed puzzle
> with pertinent clues apparent in the first episode.
>
> I found the narrative symmetry and craftsmanship of the series very
> appealing.
>
> ~rave!
>
> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "g123curious" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> I watched this premiere last night on the NBC affiliate here in
>> Boston, since I don't get (and refuse to pay for) HBO and premium
>> cable. (Way too expensive.) The promos and trailers said this
>>
> series
>
>> was well written. I disagree.
>>
>> Constant voice-overs is not good filmmaking... or good TV making.
>> Show me, don't tell me. Too much talking. Now, I understand that
>>
> most
>
>> of what's in Dexter's head he can't say publicly without getting
>> arrested, but the constant vocieovers are still poor TV making.
>>
>> The premise of this series blurs the line between good and bad,
>>
> kind
>
>> of like the traveling plasticized bodies exhibit. I feel the same
>>
> way
>
>> about both. Not sure both are a good idea. And, both put us on a
>> slippery sloope I don't think humankind should be on.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, I'm no purist. The Dexter series promotes
>> something that was previously taboo, just like the plasticized
>>
> bodies
>
>> exhibit. Neither are educational, and there are better, truly
>> educational, and real subjects which should be covered. The Dexter
>> series honors a series killer, which is not something I want to
>> support; nor something I find entertaining. The plasticized bodies
>> exhibit pretends to be educational when it is a morbid
>>
> entertainment
>
>> using the dead, some of whose bodies weren't obtained legally or
>> morally.
>>
>> George
>> http://ivebeenmugged.typepad.com

“I am me,” said the stranger, “and I work for the ones who pay my fee...and
that's not you." - The Side Street Chonicles by C.W. Badie