I don't know if there are any authors that quite rank that high but
there is plenty of good thought provoking sf still being written.

A few hard sf authors I have read enjoyed in the last few years:

Peter Watts
Richard Paul Russo
Charles Pellegrino and George Zebrowski
Richard Morgan

Of course William Gibson, Stephen Baxter, Neal Stephenson and others
are still around and putting out great work.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> well said. Clarke was one of my early introducers to scifi as well,
though in my case, I think Andre Norton was the first one to really
captivate me, followed by Heinlein. He will be missed.
> I don't read as much as scifi nowadays, usually reading more
fantasy. The last hard scifi I read was the "1632" books. Do you think
there are scifi writers working today who are as visionary,
intelligent ,and prescient as Clarke and some others of his day, like
Asimov?

> From: "James Landrith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Clarke's "A Fall of Moondust" was the first real science fiction novel I
> read, which turned me toward my personal favorite of his "Against
the Fall
> of Night." After that, I was hopelessly addicted and consumed everything
> SF that I could find, eventually purchasing piles and piles of SF&F,
Analog,

<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=asf8WIi3POP8&refer=h=om