By MICHAEL HINMAN
Source: SyFy Portal
Mar-28-2008

It's easy to be guilty by association. I know that because one time when
I was like 8 years old on the mean streets of Johnsonburg, Pa., a bunch
of my friends thought it would be great to start throwing rocks.

So they did, and they ended up hitting someone's mom, who obviously got
angry and called our parents. I didn't throw a single rock, but my dad
looked me straight in the eye and told me that it didn't matter if I
threw a rock or not. I was still guilty by association.

In Hollywood, there's no such thing as being guilty by association.
Instead, like everything else in the world of television and movies,
it's the exact opposite. You're not guilty by association, but you can
gain success and acclaim simply by being associated with something.

Sometimes, I wonder if that is what's happening with David Eick. Don't
get me wrong, I really do like what Eick -- who is an executive producer
with "Battlestar Galactica" -- has done, and I agree with him on many
things he says during his numerous interviews. Eick has achieved a lot
of attention thanks to the critical success of "Battlestar Galactica,"
and maybe a lot of it is deserved. But then I see the episodes that Eick
has written, like the very forgettable episode "Hero," and I'm not sure
if I have the same confidence the industry has given him. And then I see
"Bionic Woman," and I get even more worried.

Because Eick is associated with "Battlestar Galactica," a lot of doors
to some very sensitive projects have opened for him. One of them was
"Bionic Woman," which could've been fascinating and entertaining if done
right, and now we have learned he is going to be taking on a television
version of "Children of Men."

Please, leave "Children of Men" alone.

The 2006 film, co-written by Alfonso Cuaron and a host of other people
loosely based on the novel by P.D. James was an amazing story (and some
amazing work of cinematography). In a future world where humans can no
longer have babies and where xenophobia is at its zenith, one man is
tasked with protecting what could be the future of the human race: an
immigrant who is very pregnant.

Now to Eick's credit, he wants to concentrate more on the James novel
than the film, so we don't have to worry about any damage taking place
to the film, but I really want to wait and see who else Eick brings in
to help him pull this off.

  One of the amazing things about "Battlestar Galactica" is that while
Ronald D. Moore was the creative genius behind the show, it was Eick who
was more of the marketing genius, and also was the person who knew how
to keep the network happy on the business side (something very hard to
do). If you removed either Eick or Moore from the equation, "Battlestar
Galactica" would've easily stumbled if it didn't have someone like the
two of them putting it together.

But Eick figures he can strike it solo, and I just don't think it works.
While he might have a good handle on the business side, he still needs
an amazing creative balance to make it work. And I worry that he won't
bring in the right balance, and once again, another Eick project will go
up in smoke.

I hope that doesn't happen. Because as much as I disliked "Hero" and as
much as I could've done without the time "Bionic Woman" sapped from my
life, Eick really is a key factor in the success of "Battlestar
Galactica," and he has done some tremendous work. For every "Hero,"
there is a two-parter like "Home," that I thought Eick did wonderful job
writing.

So don't take this as Eick bashing in any way. I want to see Eick earn
his due as a great producer (and someday, maybe even as a passable
writer) just as we know Moore will, but please figure out that it does
take a formula to make it work, and figure it out before you get too
knee-deep into "Children of Men." Because I want a good show to watch,
that will leave me just as satisfied as I was with the movie, and almost
as satisfied as I am with "Battlestar Galactica."
http://syfyportal.com/news424876.html

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: