Let's all hang onto this one, folks. This way, in July, when KR is history
flaming, we can all look back and chuckle, okay?

tdemorsella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                             Bionic
Failure Informs Knight

 Ben Silverman, co-chairman of NBC Entertainment and Universal Media
 Studios, said that the network took the lessons it learned the hard
 way from its failed reboot Bionic Woman and applied them to the
 upcoming remake of Knight Rider.

 Bionic Woman started off well, then sputtered out creatively and in
 the ratings, and it was not renewed for a second season. NBC conceded
 that the rush to get the show on air ultimately hurt it.

 Moving forward with Knight Rider after the success of a backdoor pilot
 that aired in February, the network elected to take its time with the
 weekly version, a sequel to the original 1980s series that starred
 David Hasselhoff.

 "We saw it with [Fox's] Terminator [The Sarah Connor Chronicles], and
 we saw it with Bionic Woman: big openings, big branded titles, draw
 open the tent, and the show didn't deliver on that $10 million pilot,"
 Silverman said in response to a SCI FI Wire question during the
 network's upfront presentation to advertisers in New York on April 2.
 "What we're doing with Knight Rider is we consciously delivered it on
 air [in February] so that we had nine months to make sure that series
 is great."

 To wit, Silverman said, NBC recently tapped Gary Scott Thompson as the
 Knight Rider show runner. Thompson most recently was show runner on
 NBC's hit series Las Vegas, and he also knows from cars--having
 scripted The Fast and the Furious--and from SF, having penned the
 story for Hollow Man.

 "We just brought on [Thompson] to be our partner on it creatively,"
 Silverman said. "We're hiring a staff. We're hiring the cast. We're
 honing the writing crew. And we're ensuring that the show lives up to
 the audience's expectation. The audience turned on and tuned in to the
 two-hour movie premiere. Now we need to make sure they come in week in
 and week out, and for that we've got to take a rigorous
 approahttp://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=51674ch.";

 Knight Rider will premiere in the fall. (NBC is owned by NBC
 Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.) --Ian Spelling

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"