In early Trekdom the term "Trekkie" was well used by the media
whenever they did a usually not flattering story about
Trek fans, so many older fans preferred to be called
"Trekker" over the other name. Having been a Trek fan
from day one I still prefer "Trekker"  That said I really
don't care what name is used.

Meta

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It changed back, Keith? A few years ago, I used "Trekkie" and got my
head bitten off by someone who *insisted* on "Trekker".

> [...]
> flopped may depend on introducing a new generation to the exploits of
> the 23rd century explorers rather than just hooking old fans.
>
> "The whole point was to try to make this movie for fans of movies, not
> fans of `Star Trek,' necessarily,'" Abrams said. "If you're a fan,
> we've got one of the writers who's a devout Trekker, so we were able
> to make sure we were serving the people who are completely enamored
> with `Star Trek.' But we are not making the movie for that contingent
> alone.
>
> "You can't really make a movie for them. As soon as you start to guess
> what you think they are going to want to see, you're in trouble. You
> have to make the movie in many ways for what you want to see yourself,
> make a movie you believe in. Then you're not second-guessing an
> audience you don't really have an understanding of."
>
> After the 1960s TV show went off the air, it remained alive in
> syndication, and the original cast led by William Shatner as Kirk and
> Leonard Nimoy as Spock was reunited for six big-screen movies.
>
> Four more movies followed starring Patrick Stewart and the cast of the
> 1980s and '90s update "Star Trek: The Next Generation," while the
> "Trek" universe expanded to include three other TV series.
>
> Abrams' "Star Trek" takes the franchise back to its beginning, with a
> young cast re-creating the Enterprise crew: Chris Pine as Kirk,
> Zachary Quinto as Spock, Karl Urban as Dr. McCoy, Simon Pegg as
> engineer Scott, John Cho as helmsman Sulu, Zoe Saldana as
> communications officer Uhura and Anton Yelchin as navigator Chekov.
>
> "It's a chance to see what Kirk and Spock would look like done now,"
> Abrams said. "What's thrilling about it is how great the cast is, how
> remarkably talented and funny and just spot-on they all are."
>
> Nimoy also reprises his role as the older Spock, though Shatner —
> whose Kirk was killed at the end of the seventh movie, "Star Trek:
> Generations" — does not appear.
>
> Abrams would not share plot details, saying only that the movie would
> remain faithful to the original while breaking new ground in action,
> drama and visual effects, which are being crafted by "Star Wars"
> creator George Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic outfit.
>
> "I feel like this is so unlike what you expect, so unlike the `Star
> Trek' you've seen. At the same time, it's being true to what's come
> before, honoring it," Abrams said. "I can say the effects for `Star
> Trek' have never, ever been done like this. ... I can only tell you
> the idea of the universe of `Star Trek' has never been given this kind
> of treatment."
>
> Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The
> information contained in the AP News report may not be published,
> broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written
> authority of The Associated Press.

> "There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels
will get organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A
Man Without A Country"