Obama wanting to deal with that potential hazard.

From: "ravenadal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-change_dems_bd18may18,0,7163200.story
chicagotribune.com

Top reasons Clinton should not get on dream ticket

Tribune staff report

May 18, 2008

The Democratic primary battle may not technically be over, but I'm
ready to move on to the next phase of windy speculation and gratuitous
strategery.

So here are eight reasons Barack Obama should not offer Hillary
Clinton the No. 2 spot on the Democratic ticket:

1. She's a familiar Washington insider and a major premise of his
candidacy has been changing the ways of Washington.

2. She's pandered brazenly and attacked personally on the campaign
trail, showing herself to be the embodiment of "the old way of doing
politics" Obama has disparaged.

3. Her husband, the former president, has shown an inability to stay
on message and keep his foot out of his mouth.

4. She's polarizing. Clinton's unfavorable ratings are from 7 to 16
points higher than Obama's in recent national polls.

5. She'll star in Republican attack ads against Obama: The "I believe
that I've met the qualifications to be commander-in-chief" ad will
show her saying, "Certainly, Sen. McCain has done that and you'll have
to ask Sen. Obama with respect to his candidacy."

6. She crossed the line when she repeated this thought several times
to reporters in early March: "I have a lifetime of experience that I
will bring to the White House. Sen. John McCain has a lifetime of
experience that he'd bring to the White House.

And Sen. Obama has a speech he gave in 2002."

7. She's toting unpacked baggage. Obama's high-road approach has kept
him from doing what Republican operatives are itching to do: Dig up
the half-buried Clinton family scandals of the 1990s and turn over
every rock from the last eight years looking for more.

8. Politically, a teammate is better than a counterweight. Bill
Clinton himself demonstrated this when he picked another young
moderate Democrat from the mid-South — Al Gore of Tennessee — and the
two ran a vigorous, consistent campaign.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: