Yeah...Funny how that happened...

Daryle Lockhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Jim Rhodes" is a pretty important character in the Iron Man books.
What's been twisted in he movie is that Rhodie actually helped build
the suits, and gets one fo his own.

On May 20, 2008, at 10:33 PM, ravenadal wrote:

> How is it that Terrence Howard can play a legendary character on the
> New York stage but is stuck as the sidekick who's jealous of Robert
> Downey Jr.'s hardware in "Iron Man"?
>
> http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2008/05/17/a_black_hole/
>
> A black hole
>
> African-Americans are blazing creative trails in music, TV, and stage.
> In film, the choice is either bawdy and preachy or earnest but safe -
> with a void in between.
>
> By Wesley Morris, Globe Staff | May 18, 2008
>
> few weeks ago I got to see Terrence Howard and Anika Noni Rose play
> Brick and Maggie "the Cat" in Debbie Allen's Broadway production of
> "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." I went home depressed. Not because the show
> was bad, although, in its clanging way, it is. I was depressed because
> for all its shortcomings, the show was a big entertainment event that
> doesn't happen much in the movies: It had premium melodrama and black
> stars being starry. As a moviegoer, I hurt for that kind of glamour.
>
> I felt the same hangover leaving an exhilarating concert by Erykah
> Badu and the Roots earlier this month, and watching both "The Wire,"
> which just said goodbye to us and HBO, and the staggering acting in
> that production of "A Raisin in the Sun" ABC aired in February: Why
> isn't black life this interesting, vibrant, or complex at the movies?
> How is it that Terrence Howard can play a legendary character on the
> New York stage but is stuck as the sidekick who's jealous of Robert
> Downey Jr.'s hardware in "Iron Man"?
>
> When it comes to black America, the movies are stagnating. Well, when
> it comes to any nonwhite male subject matter at the movies, the
> pickings are slim. But there's such a wealth of black stars,
> producers, and directors that the scarcity of movies - big-ticket or
> small, serious or light - focused on the lives of black people, is
> surreal. There's a gaping entertainment void. It's not just the lack
> of quantity. It's the lack of variety. Despite the usual death notices
> posted for hip-hop, black popular music is alive and well.
>
> At the moment, black movies come in two flavors: uplift dramas and
> Tyler Perry. The first is represented by all those feel-good movies -
> "Akeelah and the Bee," "Stomp the Yard," "Pride," "The Great Debaters"
> - that, bless their hearts, wanted to empower us, but that nobody
> flocked to see. Message movies are a great notion but tricky as
> entertainment. The makers of these films have this noble but somewhat
> misguided idea that the average black moviegoer wants to feel like
> she's in school.
>
> Perry's megaplex successes suggest that the average black moviegoer
> wants to feel like she's in church. His movies have sermons. His
> movies have soap opera. And, increasingly, his movies have stars. In
> the past, I've said only somewhat jestingly that a Tyler Perry movie
> is where black actors go to get back in touch with their roots. (The
> [...]

“I am me,” said the stranger, “and I work for the ones who pay my fee...and
that's not you." - The Side Street Chonicles by C.W. Badie