[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I agree.  When I saw the trailer, I was so disgusted by
the depiction of the Native South Americans, I decided I wasn't missing
anything by not going.  I didn't care for the first Indiana Jones film for a
lot of reasons, but a major one was I didn't think callously shooting an
Arab antagonist with excellent sword fighting skills was funny and that
scene was staged in a way that was meant to get laughs and instead, I got
upset.
Thus, I didn't go to any of the sequels and I won't be seeing this one
either.
Amy

in full disclosure, i haven't seen the latest Indy flick yet. and partly
its because i got bad vibes as i watched the poster and preview. don't
get me wrong, loved the indy flicks as a kid. raiders of the lost ark
remains my fave. but even at a young age, the racial exoticism and
pro-british "gunga din" colonial aspects of temple of doom made me
squeamish. now that i think back on all the flicks, i wonder at some of
my fave scenes that once made me laugh and clap--like Indy shooting dead
a scimitar wielding veiled "other" in raiders. i know of course the
whole thing is supposed to be set in the more "unenlightened" past,
before anyone cared about racial sensitivity and the white man's burden
was en vogue. that's all part of the indy aura. keeping it real so to
speak. but in the previews of this latest flick, as i watched images of
central american "natives" running around chasing white guys in a jungle
with spears... i just couldn't stomach it in 2008. can't render a full
judgment of course on what i haven't seen, but from what i've heard from
those peoples whose views i trust, i'll wait for the dvd release.   Sin
<http://djelianansigriot.blogspot.com/>
------     Does Indy Diss the Developing World?    Crystal Skull isn't
the most offensive Indiana Jones movie, but it isn't the least annoying
either. TheRoot.com
June 6, 2008--The box office has given its ecstatic verdict on the film
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. ($482 million in
gross ticket sales and counting.) But one little discussed metric that
some people have been using to judge Skull (or, at least, that I have)
is: How offensive was it compared to the other films? Assessments of
Indy-style flicks tend to amount to little more than weather reports
where life, death and the American dream (.of a decent three-day
weekend) hinge on portents in the sky and box office. In those terms,
the only things worth keeping track of are relative: How much money was
made compared to last summer/entry in the franchise? How much NONSTOP!
THRILLRIDE! FUN! (to borrow the shouting verbiage of the movie poster)
did Skull pack in compared to previous outings? In that comparative
vein, Skull has the middling honor of being neither the worst offender
in the series (that's No. 2, South Asian horror misfire Indiana Jones
and the Temple of Doom) nor the least. (No. 3, Indiana Jones and the
Last Crusade, takes the dual prize of being the best Indy movie and the
least racist.) Thank heavens for small favors, right?

The Indy flicks have been accused of being, Seinfeld-like, about nothing
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/16/AR20080\
51601023.html> , but that reading is, as they say, mighty white of
someone. These movies may be mostly about rigorously-constructed action
sequences and "fun," but many of their excitements have been a highly
specific, Tintin kind of fun. Indy is a likeable Anglo-American hero
engaged in various forms of derring-do against colored, exotic
backdrops.

The villains were cardboard cut-out Nazis and commies in three out of
the four movies, but this is still a series that started out as an
update of the "mummy" genre, with all the Orientalist blind spots and
racism that implies. Spielberg may have rather brilliantly flipped that
particular script in Raiders by moving the movie's central artifact from
ancient Egypt to ancient Israel, but the overall subject was still a
lingering fantasy of a bygone British colonial world, albeit one lensed
through the sensibilities of an American director. The world that
Indiana inhabits and explores sits in the contested historical space
between the colonial and post-colonial periods, but you'd never know it,
the only struggle on screen exclusively between First World Axis and
Allies, commies and capitalists.

Raiders' originating Middle Eastern setting inevitably left it littered
with images of Arabs staring inscrutably at the sun setting on the
British Empire, but it was largely a white-on-(ancient) Jewish affair
that envisioned a Nazi quest for a Hebrew super-weapon. Although Indiana
wasn't Jewish, Spielberg's tale of the quest for the Ark of the Covenant
echoed a time-honored tradition of Jewish American artists and writers
using the fantastic
<http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1679961,00.html>
-comics, sci-fi-to frame stories about their identity and
history. (Fans of afrofuturistic re-imaginings of slavery and racism
should appreciate how Spielberg-who has seven WWII films on his
CV-obsessively, specifically reworks the Holocaust using successive
movie genres from fantasy, biopics, action and so on.) The Last Crusade
featured vaguely Arab secret society members, but barely ever left
Europe, focusing on English knights and the Holy Grail, the cup Jesus
drank from at the Last Supper in Jerusalem.

Not coincidently Last Crusade is the best of the Indy movies, as if
minimizing contact with confounding ethnics somehow kept the filmmakers
focused and on point. It's no accident then that the "worst" Indy film
from both creative and financial standpoints is also the series' most
colored. Temple of Doom is a would-be horror film set in Northern India
and focusing on the so-called "Thuggee
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee>  cult," groups of Indian
highwaymen who populated the nightmares (and adventure stories) of the
British colonial era. Temple of Doom went the extra mile by turning what
many scholars view as the potentially overstated Thuggee threat into a
blood-soaked ooga-booga orgy of human sacrifice and child-abduction, and
for its trouble it was banned in India for many years. (Negative
reaction to Doom's bizarre violence also helped usher the largely
pointless PG-13 rating into existence. Thank you, cultural
insensitivity!)

So where does Skull rate on this offensiveness spectrum? For one thing,
despite spending about half its time in South America, this is a film
curiously bereft of, you know, South Americans. During a visit to a
graveyard in Peru, mysterious, face-painted men do appear out of nowhere
to randomly bust out on Harrison Ford and Shia LaBeouf's characters with
what are clearly Capoeira
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMX9KKzG4-0&feature=related>  moves, but
they're just video game enemies entering the movie on cue during a
change of scene. Later, Amazonian tribesmen appear in what was supposed
to be an abandoned stronghold, but their motivations, identities and
provenance remain not so much mysterious as hard-coded.

Then, there are the space aliens. (Hit the back button on your browser
now if you don't want to know about the space aliens.) Although some
critics have accused Skull's "ancient astronaut" plotline of
cannibalizing Spielberg's own Close Encounters, (Surprise! The crystal
skull of the title came from outer/inner space!) the movie can be better
described as cribbing from Leonard Nimoy's trippy old television series
In Search Of. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MB4mXFiTj4>  . For
those either too young to remember (or drug-free at the time), In Search
Of was a masterpiece of '70s psychedelia where early electronic music,
weird science, conspiracy theories and supermarket tabloid riffs were
blended together willy-nilly for 30 mind-blowing minutes a week, all of
it presented in a loopy deadpan by Star Trek's Spock wearing not Vulcan
ears but a swinging turtleneck and blazer combo.

One of the show's favorite themes was the notion that pre-colonial
tribes and civilizations were often in mysterious possession of unusual
objects and factoids that the poor, primitive dears could "only" have
gotten from outer space. (Where else could the artifacts and
astronomical information have come from? They hadn't encountered the
white man yet.) These curiosities ranged from the Dogon tribe in Mali's
knowledge of astronomical features
<http://www.ufoevidence.org/topics/dogon.htm>  that are invisible to the
naked eye, to the 2,000-year-old, mile-wide Peruvian line drawings known
as the Nazca Lines <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_Lines>  which
appear prominently in Skull. According to at least a season's worth of
In Search Of. episodes, the Nazca lines are obviously the remains of
an alien spaceport. Dug into the hills, the massive outlines of humming
birds and hunters can only be "seen" aerially, and even though more than
one researcher has shown they could have easily been made using
techniques available at the time, the Nazca artifacts are a key part of
little green men tales from here to the X-Files.

Much of what is passed along as the "ancient astronaut" thesis is lifted
from the classics of schlock UFO-ology like Erich von Däniken's
Chariots of the Gods <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_the_Gods>
, which, like In Search Of., had their heyday in the go-go '70s.

In addition to Nazca and the Dogon, Däniken argued the alien origins
of the prophet Ezekiel's flying wheel ("And when I looked, behold the
four wheels by the cherubim, one wheel by one cherub, and another wheel
by another cherub: and the appearance of the wheels was as the color of
a beryl stone." Ezekiel 10:9), Stonehenge, the spirit journeys of
Australia's First People, the heads on Easter Island, and, of course,
the pyramids of the Egyptians, Mayans and Inca. Although the Great Wall
of China got a pass, in Däniken's ancient world there seemed to be
nothing that couldn't be attributed to an alien architect.

The idea of such secret, forgotten contacts between people of color and
ETs isn't always a colonialist ploy. Artists from Charles Glaubitz
<http://www.mrglaubitz.com/electrico.html>  to Sun Ra
<http://www.blastitude.com/13/ETERNITY/sun_ra.htm>  have used the
extra-terrestrial and extra-sensory to short-circuit traditional
depictions of people of color (Mexicans in Glaubitz's case and black
folks in Sun Ra's) by leapfrogging over Europeans and the European
encounter. It's a fruitful and powerful image when deployed the right
way, but in the hands of invariably white Hollywood filmmakers the meme
is most often a weapon used to deny the creativity and inventiveness of
indigenous peoples and colored civilizations. Whether you're talking
Skull, or the Stargate franchise, or sub-basement dreck like the Alien
vs. Predator movies, indigenous peoples are most often depicted as
easily fooled, slavish worshippers of superior alien races. Even modern
franchises like Terminator 2: Judgment Day, where the black scientist
played by Joe Morton "invents" our robot overlords after lucking to a
computer chip from the future, colored knowledge always comes from a
non-colored outside.

Stephen Spielberg is a stunningly intelligent crafter of popular and
fantastical entertainments, and for fans of the art of genre movies, his
run over the last 10 years has been unprecedented: Saving Private Ryan
(1998), the under-appreciated A.I. (2001), Minority Report (2002) and
the also under-appreciated War of the Worlds (2005).

All those movies shared Raider's serious appraisal and re-invigoration
of what makes action and sci-fi movies tick, and it's a shame to see him
muck up that streak with lazy colonialist crud like Skull. Still, the
man who some argue is among America's greatest living directors must
feel he's onto something with these tales of white men on the loose at
the close of empires, as next up for him is a feature-film trilogy based
on the adventures of boy reporter (and Belgian colonial icon) Tintin
<http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117964927.html?categoryid=13&cs=1> .
No doubt the first flick will open on Columbus Day.

Gary Dauphin is a Los Angeles writer. His blog can be found at
ebogjonson.com <http://www.ebogjonson.com/> .