I actually enjoyed Dwayne McDuffie's recent run on the FF more than
Millar's.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For all the bad things I've seen and heard about him, I can't knock
him, because I love what he's done with the FF.

> &quot;There is no reason Good can&#39;t triumph over Evil, if only
angels will get organized along the lines of the Mafia.&quot; -Kurt
Vonnegut, &quot;A Man Without A Country&quot;

Mark

> knows how he'll celebrate - take a day off and go to Ayr with wife
Gill and

> daughter Emily, nine.
>

> Laughing, the writing wizard, of Glasgow, said: "I can't drive so I
won't be

> buying a flash car. We live in a nice house already and I dress the
same as

> I did at university.
>

> "There's actually nothing to spend it on. If things turn out well
at the

> weekend I'll take Monday off and me and the family will go to Ayr
for the

> day. But I'll be back at work on Tuesday morning."
>

> Life couldn't be much better for Mark right now. Not only is he one
of the

> best-selling comic book writers in the world, Wanted is the first
in what

> could be a long line of film adaptations of his work.
>

> Released in the UK and America yesterday, he knows that across the
pond he

> won't get a No.1 movie as Pixar's latest animated movie, Wall-E, is
also

> released this week.
>

> But with Angelina and James starring in the Û110 million film,
Wanted is

> still expected to be huge, setting Mark up as Hollywood's latest
source for

> big superhero movies.
>

> "This weekend is either life changing or it's a dud," said Mark.
>

> But the truth is he is on a roll. Kick-Ass, the next movie adapted
from one

> of his comic books, starts filming in August and will be directed
by Matthew

> Vaughn, the man behind Stardust and Layer Cake.
>

> It will be out next year, with two more films in the pipeline, War
Heroes

> and Chosen, both created by him. Wanted 2 is also mooted.
>

> As well as his own creations that he releases under his Millar
world line of

> books, Mark also writes for Marvel, which means working on comic
book

> legends like Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and X-Men.
>

> He also helps on their films as a script doctor, working most
recently on

> Iron Man.
>

> He must be a very, very rich man.
>

> But Mark, speaking before a special screening of Wanted at the Cine
world,

> Glasgow, on Tuesday night, claims he won't believe it until he sees
the

> money in the bank.
>

> He said: "None of the money is in yet. I'll believe it when I see
the cash.

> I'm not anticipating anything.
>

> "Anything that shows up I'll be really happy with. But I hear
stories from

> other writers who say by the time they work out the expenses, the
amount of

> money is actually c**p."
>

> Money doesn't seem to be all that important to Mark, but then he's
had more

> hardship than most.
>

> Both his parents passed away when he was still in his teens. His
mum died of

> a heart attack when he was 14. His dad died four years later.
>

> How proud would they have been to see their son creating a
Hollywood movie

> starring Angelina Jolie?
>

> Mark said: "It would be lovely if they were here to see how well
I've done,

> but I've got a really tight family of brothers and my sister.
>

> "They were all there on Tuesday. The family is still together. We
are so

> close, not a week goes by when I don't see all of them. Our parents
dying

> made us even closer. We are like The Osmonds, we see each other all
the

> time."
>

> The youngest of six children by 14 years, he trained to be a priest
but left

> to go to Paisley University, although he had to quit his degree in
the final

> months because of mounting debts.
>

> He dropped out and, with nothing to lose, tried to get a job
writing comic

> books, getting his break at 2000AD comics.
>

> He was headhunted by DC Comics, who got him working on The
Authority, and he

> made his mark by creating the first gay kiss between two male
superheroes.

> MARK'S notoriety continued with Superman:Red Son in, which the
superhero

> grew up in the Soviet Union instead ofAmerica.
>

> The writer was then head-hunted again, this time by Marvel, who
asked him to

> shake up The X-Men.
>

> Since then he's become one of the biggest-selling UK comic book
writers, but

> he's staying put in his suburban Glasgow home. He said: "Scotland is
>
> important to my writing.
>

> "My agent and attorney want me to move to LA. They think it's a
matter of

> time or money, but I tell them, 'You don't understand the
difference to

> where I stay. This is where I get all my ideas and my life
experiences

> from.'
>

> "If I lived in LA I'd just write like everyone else. Wanted is an
unusual

> superhero movie, it's dark and black sense of humour. My pals over
there are

> all on their second wives and do drugs. It's a world I don't want
my kid to

> grow up in. I've been married since I was 23. I have a really
normal set up.

> "My job sounds glamorous, but I'm sitting in Glasgow in a spare
room in the

> attic, writing on a computer all day and walking the dog at night.
>

> "Hollywood and the comic books will all end. It might end in two
years time,

> it might end in 10, but it's nice to know that everybody who hangs
about

> with me isn't doing it because I'm a Hollywood guy.
>

> "I've got a normal life, I will have something to fall back on when
it all

> goes belly up. And the idea of my daughter having an American
accent appals

> me."
>

> Instead, Mark is bringing Hollywood to Scotland - screening Wanted
in

> Glasgow is a huge deal.
>

> But then for Mark it's a full circle. He said: "The whole thing
started at

> Queen Street Station. I had the idea there and bought a pad and
started

> jotting down notes.
>

> "The original title was The Killer, but by the end of the journey
I'd

> scribbled it out and put Wanted.
>

> "So Glasgow was where it was conceived and having the screening 300
yards

> away at Cineworld is nice."
>

> The film stars James McAvoy as office drone Wesley Gibson, who has
almost

> given up on life when he meets Fox, played by Angelina Jolie, who
recruits

> him into the Fraternity, a secret society that trains Wes to avenge
his

> dad's death and become an assassin that can bend bullets. It's a
hugely

> entertaining and often violent film which helped Mark to meet the
world's

> most beautiful woman, Angelina, watching Little Britain DVDs in her
trailer.

> He said: "It was weird, Angelina doing a David Walliams voice and
I'm

> thinking 'Is this really happening?'
>

> "I found her absolutely lovely. You hear all the Chinese whispers
about what

> big stars are like, but she was smart, funny and down to earth."
>

> While he is an executive producer on Wanted, he is a full producer
on his

> next movie Kick-Ass. He claims there are some A-list names involved
in the

> film about an ordinary boy who becomes a superhero.
>

> But Mark's big dream is making a Superman movie.
>

> He said: "Since I was a kid I've always wanted to reinvent Superman
for the

> 21st century.
>

> "I've been planning this my entire life. I've got my director and
producer

> set up, and it'll be 2011. This is how far ahead you have to think.
>

> "The Superman brand is toxic after that last movie lost
Û200million, but in