[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I am a huge Alan Moore fan mainly because I started with 'Watchmen' which
was so terrific, I've tried to get everything Moore has done since.
'Watchmen' is rightfully a classic and a must read for anyone who likes
speculative fiction.
Amy

I am a big Alan Moore fan ("From Hell," "V for Vendetta," "League of
Extraordinary Gentlemen") but I, too, have never read his "Watchman"
graphic novel.  I was surprised to see it was published in 1986
(seems long ago) and that TIME magazine rated it as one of the 100
best novels of all time.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The trailer shown before "The Dark Knight" really intrigued me.
I've never read "Watchmen", but determined to do so after seeing it.
Empire magazine (a really good British mag that focuses on film and
scifi) recently did a spread on the movie. They detailed some of the
changes to the characters from the comic to the movie.

> Whether the movie is good or not, i'm excited because it's all new
to me. How often do I get to approach any kind of scifi/comic
property where I know *nothing* about it? Don't know any characters'
names, their powers or motivations, who the villains are, what time
period or reality this series took place in--nothing.  How cool is it
to discover something brand new after 30+ years of inhaling scifi and
comics?!  To  a lesser extent, I found myself cautiously excited
before seeing "Hancock", because that too was something complelety
new to me. I was guessing and wondering and in the dark the whole
film. Kewl!
> From: "ravenadal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-watchmen-
0728_coverjul28,0,4606257.story
> chicagotribune.com
>
> MOVIES
>
> What you need to know about 'Watchmen'
>
> By Glenn Jeffers
>
> Chicago Tribune reporter
>
> July 28, 2008
>
> Who watches the Watchmen?
>
> Soon, we will.
>
> At least, that's what Warner Bros. and DC Comics are counting on
when
> their next comic book adaptation, "Watchmen," hits theaters in
March.
> Many moviegoers got a sneak peek of the film before seeing " The
Dark
> Knight."
>
> Plainly defined, "Watchmen" is a 1986 graphic novel written by
British
> writer Alan Moore ("From Hell," "V for Vendetta") and illustrated by
> Dave Gibbons. It is perhaps the most celebrated title in comicdom
and
> has been showered with accolades including a Hugo Award, science
> fiction's highest honor. Time listed it as one of its top 100
> English-language novels.
>
> "Watchmen" touched on many Reagan-era themes, including the Cold War
> and the nuclear arms race. But, ultimately, it moved comic books
away
> from the kitschy, kids-only image of the '60s and '70s and proved
the
> genre could handle more complex, adult drama.
>
> Originally released as a 12-issue limited series, "Watchmen" focuses
> on a group of retired heroes living in an alternative version of
1985
> New York. When one of them, The Comedian, is murdered, the rest
> uncover a plot that could spark a nuclear war between the United
> States and the Soviet Union.
>
> Here's what you need to know to enter the "Watchmen" world.
>
> The Characters
> Dr. Manhattan (a.k.a. Jon Osterman)
>
> Played by: Billy Crudup ("Almost Famous," "Big Fish")
>
> Trapped inside an intrinsic field generator during a test run,
> scientist Jon Osterman was ripped apart by the ensuing explosion.
> Somehow his consciousness survived, and he rebuilt himself as a
> glowing, blue-skinned being with a dislike for pants. The only
> super-powered hero in the Watchmen universe, Dr. Manhattan can do
just
> about anything, from rearranging any kind of matter to
teleportation.