I saw the X-Files film over the weekend…and it was exactly what i
expected…

the movie ran like a long tv episode. i went to see it cuz i was a
fan of the series, and it appealed to my 90s nostalgia. i didnt' go
in expecting a fascinating thriller...i was jes interested to see
what they created. the theatre wasn't packed, but modestly
full...though i figured everyone in there was a fan.

i'd warn of spoilers, but not sure i give any. read at your own risk.

the flick itself was not bad. but it was not great either. jes so
happens, as an old X-Files fan, i've seen better episodes. if this
had been the first of its kind, without all the classics from memory,
it might have been really good. but as it was, it was like a "so-so"
episode.

there were no aliens. there was no conspiracy. and i kinda thought
that was good, because who wanted to open up that can of worms again?
the conspiracy at times was interesting, at times overly convulted
and drawn out. there were some hints however to it--allusions to
Mulder's sister...to the lost "baby", etc.

the plot trended more towards "silence of the lambs" with some
incidental supernatural happenings n some freak science… like i said,
i seen betta episodes.

mostly the story dealt with mulder and scully's alienation from the
FBI (they're like retired superheroes with very mundane day jobs) and
dealt heavily on those introspective issues that have plagued them
forever (i.e., the supernatural x-files as metaphor for scully's
inner turmoil over her scientific training vs her catholic faith).
lots of philosophical wranglings. if its action someone expects from
this film, they'll be disappointed. no buildings get blown up. no
great chase scenes or shoot-outs. mulder and scully aren't even in
the FBI--they're jes called in as old-heads to help out.

dialogue is alright, though some it seemed contrived. there are bits
of humor. there's a minor cameo appearance of an old character--but
nothing to make you gasp. the film doesn't hint at there being any
follow-ups. it seems to stand alone, outside of the x-files series
but yet alongside it.

there's no sense that the creators of this movie had any intent to
gain a new fan base or to jumpstart the franchise. its like they made
it just to say, "remember these guys? well here's what they're up to
now in case you were wondering." tho' they keep callin it a sequel,
when it was done i felt more like i had just finished watching an
epilogue.

i can't be sure, but i think this is it for the x-files. and i'm not
saying that because it didn't make all the required money (the
whole "who-made-more-than-who numbers racket at the box office irks
me as much as judging good rappers at who goes platinum). the movie
itself simply read like a "farewell," intended for old fans who will
either come away satisfied or not.

mho of course.

Sin

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I was a die hart fan, but I'm barely interested enough to rent it
when it
> comes out on DVD now.  I think they teased us with the plot so
much, that
> most of us long ago realized that the truth was NOT out there, just
audience
> manipulation.  There was no truth, just twists and turns to string
us along.
> Add all that to that fact that they simply waiting too long and you
have
> lost the fan base.   I know you think it is the overcrowded
blockbuster
> schedule that is the problem.  But I remember when they announced
they were
> going to do the movie, many people I know (some former loyal fans)
and a few