So I finally sat down and read *all* of Steven Barnes criticisms of
Hancock. And all I can say is...wow. Dude, tell me how you really
feel!

I never been one to shy away for looking at themes of racism or
sexism, etc in books or movies. From Tolkien's "slant eyed orcs" and
evil Southrons to even the very progressive Matrix's use of Morpheus
as second fiddle/wise sage to the "Ameri-asian but perceived as
white" Keanu Reeves, I've waded into that side of the pool more than
once. Give me a soapbox, and I'll drone on about everything from
swarthy noble savage Klingons to Storm's ridiculous blue eyes. In
fact, I've personally ranted about just that:

http://www.playahata.com/pages/morpheus/xmen.htm

And Frank Miller's 300, set to film, I gleefully ripped to shreds:

http://morpheusrevolutions.blogspot.com/2007/04/300-spartans-1-
million-persians.html

But I must be getting soft in my 30-somethingness, cuz I'm jes not as
up in arms about Hancock as some are. No one beat me, but I
actually...umm...enjoyed it. Racial undertones in there? Sure, I
guess. One could see that--or not. Some of the points made by Barnes,
and many others, are interesting and I think deserve discussion.
Others kind of venture into as much over-reach as Martin Lawrence's
Boomerang character talking about the "fear of black balls." I jes
keep reminding myself that the comic book world--especially beyond
marvel and dc--are filled with shady characters, even anti-heroes. I
saw Will Smith's role as just that...and kinda liked he wasn't a
boyscout like Supes, or the typical rich playboy like Wayne or
Starks.

Was the jail scene questionable? Sure. Did I slightly roll my eyes as
he sacrificed himself for the blonde chick? Yep. Did I find it
suspect that they only "inferred" racism with the attack Hancock
suffered in Florida's past, rather than addressed it fully? Sure. But
those offenses, imho, are almost minor...and hardly so cut and dry
for me to become overly adamant about. I don't even know how to
approach the bit about "why can't Will have sex--especially with his
white female co-stars." Not sure where exactly that's supposed to be
going... I'm still waitin for Geordi Laforge and the sexless mammy
figure of Guinan to get some!

Not saying that the comic book world doesn't have its share of
playing to common stereotypes. For too many if they're not from some
slum or the other (X-Men's Bishop even comes from a future slum),
they're either stuck protecting it (i.e., Spawn), or will eventually
be forced to sully their hands in it (Storm with a mohawk in the
Morlock tunnels) at some point. Either that or they're quickly driven
to rage by racism or turned into angry killing machines (Martha
Washington, Deathlok, etc). And Hollywood, well...they're just the
gift that keeps on giving as Barnes points out.

But that of all films--Hancock--would create all this backlash, I
just don't get it. Oh well, one man's suspicious seeming "dread
locked" alien hunter is another man's uber-cool Predator...so who am
I to tell others to not be offended. I welcome Barne's criticisms,
even if I don't fully agree, or fully understand, some of it.

Sin

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>