Will make this brief, gotta get some kind of sleep.  Everyone's talking about
McCain's speech, about how gracious and heartfelt it was. I'm actually dipping
a toe into the Fox News pool, and they're gushing all over McCain's
"magnanimous" speech.  They note his teary eyes, the way he praised Obama for
running a campaign of hope, a campaign that empowered people who felt powerless
before.  Gee: maybe if *this* McCain had been the guy who ran for president,
this thing would have gone the other way. The enduring legacy of him will be
that he wasn't the *real* McCain. It was in those brief moments--appearances on
Saturday Night Live, ribbing Obama at the Adam Smith Dinner--that the old,
friendlier, steady, confident McCain shone through. Not to gloat or twist the
knife, but he really has only himself to blame for abandoning his true self and
running a campaign of fear, attack, and divisiveness.

Obama's speech was as usual great. But I was struck with how solemn he looked
when walking out onto that stage. While VP-elect Biden beamed and grinned with
those white teeth of his, Obama looked almost pensive.  At first I wondered if
he was sad, perhaps thinking of how his mother, grandmother, and yes, even
father, weren't there to see this moment. And that's probably part of it. But
it looks more like a man who's run a long race,  and though victorious and
exultant, is also tired and reflective, catching his breath as he marvels at
what he's just accomplished. The more solemn, sombre mood caught me off guard
for a sec, used as I am to Obama's soaring poetry. But in the end I realized
how fiting it was. It was a time to celebrate, but also a time to be humble...a
time to cheer and scream with joy, but also a time to hang our heads in simple
thanks... a time to be hopeful, but also a time to be realistic.  To dance, but
also to be--still.  That almost solemn, reflective speech was
 the perfect cap to a race run for two years, serving to remind us of the
incredible work there is to be done, but also the joy we should feel in doing
it. Intentional or not, the manner and tone Obama struck was perfect for the
moment.