I hadn't watched South Park in like a year and a half. My wife told me about the episode and I'm glad I caught it. It was great.

It was very well written. Has the show been this well written all this time?

On Nov 7, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Omari Confer wrote:

That episode was great....

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:42 AM, Grayson Reyes-Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I thought they were parodying Oceans 11 12 and 13? LOL

Grayson Reyes-Cole
http://www.graysonreyescole.com
Facebook
Bright Star
When evil is done for the greater good, a price must always be paid...
Lyrical Press October 2008

--- On Fri, 11/7/08, ravenadal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: ravenadal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [scifinoir2] Boom Baby! South Park Parodies Election Night
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 5:13 AM

This episode is inspired! Catch it if you can.

~rave!

http://www.associat edcontent. com/article/ 1184665/south_ parks_about_ las

t_night_quickly. html

South Park's About Last Night Quickly Spoofs Election Aftermath, Heist
Films

By Robert Dougherty

The entire election season inspired tons of parodies and spoofs, but
it didn't result in any parodies from the one show that goes farther
than any spoof on network TV could. Although the election was full of
material that South Park could have easily parodied or mocked, South
Park did not do any election spoofs during the primary season, or
during the pre-election runup.

Instead, they saved doing an election parody until the night after it
ended, which was fittingly titled "About Last Night." And of course,
South Park used Obama and McCain themselves in yet another movie genre
parody.

In waiting until Obama was declared the winner, South Park once again
demonstrated how current and topical they are. "About Last Night"
literally lifted lines said in Obama and McCain's speeches the
previous night to start the episode. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are
famous for waiting until the last minute to finish an episode, but
this is a South Park record.

"About Last Night"'s last minute topicality can be put up with the
Emmy winning "Best Friends Forever" Terri Schiavo parody that aired
the night before Schiavo's death, and the "It's Christmas in Canada"
episode that worked in the capture of Saddam Hussain three days after
he was found in real life.

Aside from the ultra-topical references, South Park had bi-partisan
spoofing of the Obama and McCain supporters. The Obama supporters, led
by the crazed Randy Marsh, partied way too hard and thought Obama's
"change" meant they could do anything. McCain's supporters, led by
Butters Stotch's psychotic father, went nuts by building a bunker for
the end of days.

Most notably, Kyle's little brother Ike was so distraught by McCain's
loss that he jumped five feet off a window, equating the McCain
supporters to little babies.

But as for actual spoofs of Obama and McCain themselves, South Park
didn't spoof the political process between them, so much as they put
them in another movie genre parody.

This time, "About Last Night" spoofed the overdone heist genre, as
Obama and McCain's entire election is painted as part of an elaborate
heist to steal the Hope Diamond. Even Michelle Obama and an actually
cultured Sarah Palin are in on it.

Spoofing heist movies is a random way to parody this election. But if
South Park had any message to it, it was probably to comment on how
Obama and McCain are no different than regular old politicians, who
are usually the equivalent of thieves anyway. Having them work
together to steal the "Hope" Diamond is another clue to that.
Now that the election is done, South Park will have to find non-
election events to spoof for the final two episodes of the season. But
since they found random topics like pan flute bands and Indiana Jones
to parody this year instead of the election, that shouldn't be hard
for them.

--
cwm blog
http://centralheatingblog.blogspot.com