short duration flights is feasible, but this is beyond that.

From: "Martin Baxter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
This list lost me at "The Truman Show".  I see that someone let the kids out
again...

Subject : [scifinoir2] The 5 Most Scientifically Plausible Sci-Fi Movies
Date : Fri, 07 Nov 2008 18:21:52 -0000
>From : "ravenadal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com

http://news.yahoo.com/s/newsarama/20081107/en_newsarama/the5mostscient
ificallyplausiblescifimovies

The 5 Most Scientifically Plausible Sci-Fi Movies

Benjamin Radford

special To Newsarama

newsarama.com Fri Nov 7, 8:10 am ET

Great science fiction isn't just about gooey aliens and gee-whiz
technologies like teleporters. Unlike, say, the ever-popular fantasy
genre, sci-fi is often grounded in the human condition and based on
plausible-if speculative-science. Of course, some science fiction
films are more plausible than others: Would the Galactic Empire
really have enough manpower to build (and then rebuild) the Death
Star in the Star Wars films? While legions of sci-fi nerds debate
that question, here's are flicks that stand out:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

It's no accident that the classic sci-fi film 2001 was rooted in good
science, having sprung from the mind of the late, great Arthur C.
Clarke. Clarke's background in science informed and inspired the
setting in 2001, describing geosynchronous satellites, artificial
intelligence, and commercial space travel. Clarke lived long enough
to see the satellites he envisioned actually put into orbit, and in
the deserts of New Mexico, a "spaceport" is planned that will allow
paying passengers to see our pale blue dot from near space.

2. The Truman Show (1998)

It's hard for many young people to remember, but there was a time
before the 24-hour news feed and the reality TV craze. The Truman
Show, starring Jim Carrey as the unwitting star of a voyeuristic
television show watched by billions around the planet, foretold the
coming of America's weekly entertainment. Not only was close,
continuous surveillance plausible, it already exists in current hits
like Big Brother and Survivor.

3. Gattaca (1997)

In the not-too-distant future world of Gattaca, children's genes are
pre-selected by their upper-class parents for the best traits; those
babies whose genes are imperfect are treated as second-class
citizens. Today DNA analysis is common, and several companies offer
genetic testing for as little as a few hundred dollars. Genetic
profiling? Health insurance companies potentially denying claims
based on genetic predisposition to a disease? For many, this fear is
not science fiction but science fact.

4. Iron Man (2008)

Marvel Comics hero Tony Stark is a genius inventor whose suit of
armor-basically a souped-up mechanical exoskeleton run by computers-
is probably more scientifically plausible than most superheroes.
Though Iron Man's nifty gadgets, including his handy laser repulsors
and jet boots, remain science fiction, in many cases the underlying
scientific principles are sound. Practical problems, such as the
suit's cost and weight, would make a real Iron Man unlikely.

5. Jurassic Park (1993)

Part of what made Michael Crichton an enormously popular writer was
his ability to extrapolate current science technology. Science
fiction has always been about "What if?", and few modern authors
blended science fact with science fiction so successfully. Though
scientists are a long way off from cloning dinosaurs-they haven't
gone much past Dolly the cloned sheep-the scientific fundamentals are
there. By the end of the century, real cloned dinos might just be
chasing down tourists!

Related:

>From 'Frankenstein' to 'Star Wars', The Best 'Genre' Per Decade - the
1970's
Forging Iron Man's Movie Future
Video: "Clone Wars: Downfall of a Droid" Preview

Benjamin Radford is a writer, columnist for LiveScience, and film
critic. He has written and directed two short films, one of which
will be released in 2009. Learn more at his web site .

Original Story: The 5 Most Scientifically Plausible Sci-Fi Movies
Newsarama.com is the go-to source for the latest comic book and genre
entertainment news, reviews and commentary. Newsarama's
passionate audience contributes to lively discussions ranging from
classic and new comics to movies, TV, manga, anime and more. Watch
previews, interviews and more on our video player, sneak peeks of new
comics on our Comic Book Viewer and sign up for our RSS feeds. And be
sure to join our community so you can voice your opinion on our
articles and in our lively forums.